SOLVED

Re: Multiple leads/contacts in SFDC with same email address

Go to solution
Jason_Hamilton1
Level 8 - Champion Alumni

Multiple leads/contacts in SFDC with same email address

I have a situation where a number of records share the same email address and I have a couple of questions.
1. If I change a value in SFDC, lets say unsubscribe (email opt out) for one of those records, will it change the value for all of them in Marketo, or just the one record that I changed?

2. If I want to send an email to all of those records with the same email address, will it send an email to each of them or just send one?

Thanks for ant assistance you can provide
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Team,

I just received a support case referencing this thread, so I wanted to clarify.

Marketo has a feature called durable unsubscribe, which means that when an email address is set to unsubscribed then it is unsubscribed everywhere it exists. All duplicates with the same email will be unsubscribed if one of them unsubscribes, and all leads created at any point in the future will also be automatically unsubscribed upon creation.

This does not work the same way for Marketing Suspended though, so you would need to set each duplicate Marketing Suspended manually.

Each Marketo campaign will also only send email to a lead with a duplicate one time. If both leads qualify for the campaign, and they are both able to receive email(i.e. not unsubscribed, marketing suspended, blacklisted, etc), the campaign will still only send the email to the first one through. After that any duplicates through the flow step will not be sent the message. If the duplicates are all unsubscribed or otherwise unable to receive email, then the campaign will not send to any of them.

John

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Adam_Vavrek1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

1. I think it would change for all of them but I'm not sure.
2. If the same email address is included in one Smart Campaign email send, the email will only be delivered to that email address once. The Possible Duplicates System Smart List will help you eliminate duplicates in Marketo based on email (and other fields like full name).
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Adam is correct about #2.

If you change the value on ONE of the records in SFDC OR Marketo, then Email Opt Out=TRUE=Unsubscribed, but only for that record.

Thus if one of the subscribed records qualifies for a Campaign, it will still go out.
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Team,

I just received a support case referencing this thread, so I wanted to clarify.

Marketo has a feature called durable unsubscribe, which means that when an email address is set to unsubscribed then it is unsubscribed everywhere it exists. All duplicates with the same email will be unsubscribed if one of them unsubscribes, and all leads created at any point in the future will also be automatically unsubscribed upon creation.

This does not work the same way for Marketing Suspended though, so you would need to set each duplicate Marketing Suspended manually.

Each Marketo campaign will also only send email to a lead with a duplicate one time. If both leads qualify for the campaign, and they are both able to receive email(i.e. not unsubscribed, marketing suspended, blacklisted, etc), the campaign will still only send the email to the first one through. After that any duplicates through the flow step will not be sent the message. If the duplicates are all unsubscribed or otherwise unable to receive email, then the campaign will not send to any of them.

John
Adam_Vavrek1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Thank you, John
Elizabeth_Bonin
Level 4

Our salesforce has one record labeled unsubscribe and another not, one is a lead and one is a contact.

If we have duplicates and one is unsubscribed and one isn't, do we have to have the system smart list (duplicates) in place to catch these people in our batch sends?