Multiple identical form fills in campaign

Diana_Watts3
Level 3

Multiple identical form fills in campaign

Hi community

We are currently running a campaign which allows leads to fill out a form to receive information on their preferred study option. I've noticed that 10 leads have filled out the form twice, but haven't changed their study option preference so have basically submitted the exact same form values twice. This doesn't always happen in quick succession - 7 of the 10 re-submitted hours or even days apart, and 3 leads submitted the same form within the same minute. One lead also had three separate form fills days apart with the exact same lead values for a completely different campaign.

I don't think there is a bot at play here, as I have checked each of the submissions and they are all from the same IP address and user agent. They are all from mobile though, so I'm wondering whether it's possible that the forms have have inadvertently been re-submitted somehow at a later date from the same mobile browser? The landing page redirects to a thank you page on submission, so I'm not sure how that would even be possible but it's the only thing I can think of.

The landing page is completely standard, no Javascript. All form fields are pre-fill enabled, so leads can see what they submitted previously if they are cookied and visit the form again.

I would love to limit the number of times leads can pass through the campaign, but I can't. There are genuine cases where leads will submit the form more than once with different lead values.

The only other possible reason for this is just actual, weird behaviour: people resubmitting pre-filled forms with exactly the same values because they feel like it.

Has anybody else experienced something similar?

10 REPLIES 10
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Multiple identical form fills in campaign

Need the URL.

Diana_Watts3
Level 3

SanfordWhiteman

I don't see anything here that would lead to duplicate form fills. As you point out, there isn't any Forms 2.0 JS, which is where I'd typically expect to find the cause. (There's always JS powering any Forms 2.0 form, and you can mess it up any number of ways via 3rd-party scripts, even scripts that don't seem form-related -- but again, not here.)

Are you sure you're not having a problem following up on form fills (i.e. alert campaigns, program sorting, etc.) so people convert again because they don't hear back from you?

Certainly using Pre-Fill makes a repeated form fillout easier to do.

Diana_Watts3
Level 3

Thanks Sanford - just as I thought. It seems really strange, and not a behavior I've seen before.

The cases are all different - some are submitting the same form twice in the same minute (which led me to wonder if it's a Marketo gremlin) while others are doing it two and three days apart. They are all receiving the scheduled emails (i.e. they are being shown as delivered/opened) including the instant, triggered auto-responder so it doesn't make sense that lack of follow up would be the cause.

I'm officially stumped. 😞

SanfordWhiteman

Do you have any -- reaching deep here as there doesn't seem to be a problem with the code -- conditional Thank You pages that could lead someone to think the form didn't submit, like a Thank You URL that 404s?

Or perhaps you're having so-called inboxing problems (thus are still going to show auto-responders as delivered)?

Amit_Jain
Level 8 - Community Advisor

Its bit tricky but I guess you can do it by adding some custom JavaScript code on your form. Take a look on the following post:

How to use custom HTML with a Marketo Form | webSIGHTdesigns

As you can see, you can create your own form in custom HTML and then populate and submit the marketo form using Javascript. So what you can do is, as following:

1. Create a marketo form with all the fields required like FirstName, Last Name, email addresses and question
  2. Make all these fields hidden and make sure to enable pre-fill for these fields. So in case of the user has already submitted the form, the browser must already have the cookie in place. So you will have the values in these hidden fields that user submitted previously.
  3. Create your own Form in HTML as described in the above post
  4. Upon Custom form submission, compare the values that you have in your marketo hidden fields and in the custom form
  5. If there is a difference in the value of any of the field, update the marketo form hidden fields with the new values and submit the form
  6. Otherwise prevent the marketo form from being submitted and show an alert/re-direct to a page with a message that you already have this information.

I haven't tried this but let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Amit

SanfordWhiteman

This doesn't have anything to do with the problem domain.

Even if you wanted to forcibly stop the Marketo form from submitting with unchanged values -- which is a bad idea, as resubmitting is a valid case that shouldn't be blocked outright -- building an *entire other form* in raw HTML is unnecessary.

Victor_Herrero
Level 5

Hi @Diana_Watts3

I'm having the same or a very similar problem. Lately we are seeing people submitting from the same countries, same type of form and landing page and it's creating several records simultaneously (same minute, don't have more granularity). The record is now at 15. 

It's strange because we are unable to reproduce the issue. Developers looked at it and couldn't find anything. They suspect maybe very slow connections can lead to subsequent submissions. To me this seems like a technical problem. 15 submissions in the same minute (probably second, since Marketo was unable to dedupe on exact email match...).

Even with form pre-fill, which no longer works, it should not be possible. Last time we had something similar was a faulty integration that posted twice. Only in this case it's  a form submission... 

Did you and Sanford figure it out?

Diana_Watts3
Level 3

Hi @Victor_Herrero 

I never got to the bottom of this sorry - it was a really strange one. It sounds like you've having a similar problem! Have Marketo Support been able to provide any insight?