Re: Multiple Trigger Smart List but only want 1 Email Sent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple Trigger Smart List but only want 1 Email Sent

I have a smart campaign setup that has multiple triggers. I thought that if only 1 of the triggers was met it would send only 1 email AND if more than 1 trigger was met it would send only 1 email. I attached the screenshot of the smart list. The problem we're experiencing is that some of the leads we receive would only ever meet 1 of the triggers. But today we realized that a lead could meet more than 1 of the defined triggers - when this happened, Marketo sent the same email twice to the same lead at the same time.

How do I set a restriction that says, only send 1 email even if more than one trigger is met? Note, this is an appointment based smart campaign, so leads could update their appointment times very frequently (minutes apart), and if that's the case I want to make sure Marketo still sends them the email.

I've played around with the Qualification Rules on the Schedule tab, but it doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for. Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

No, a trigger is what initiates the campaign. The campaign will be initiated any time that any of the triggers occur.

You can add a series of filters as well with date ranges to ensure that those triggered events haven't happened in the last day so that you're only running the campaign once a day.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Justin. You're comment on only running the campaign once a day....unfortunately, this would not be a good solution for us. Our data updates every minute, so if any of these triggers are met at different times throughout the day, I would still need Marketo to send the email.

It's when we get a data single update instance and that lead qualifies for more than 1 of those triggers that we experience issues. In this situation, Marketo sends the same email to the same lead equalling the number of triggers it qualified for. But ideally, I want to to only send 1 email even if the lead qualifies at more than 1 of the triggers. Thoughts?

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Amanda,

That's what I'm trying to explain..a trigger is not something you "qualify" for. If you setup a trigger campaign, whenever any of the triggered actions occur, the campaign will execute the flow steps. So, you haven't set it up the way you'd like. Why do you need all the different triggers? Why can't you just trigger off whether the "Appointment Time VS" has changed? It's not clear to me why you are including the 3 triggers? You can use filters in addition to your trigger if you need to validate some additional criteria before making sure they should be part of the campaign.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Let's try to clarify what is going on:

1. When ANY of the three orange triggers happens, whichever one hits first AND the green Filter
  2. the workflow will be engaged and send the email.
  3. The Schedule>Qualification Rules can be set to Every time, Once a day, or other options. If you set it to Every Time, then any lead that has one of those Three Triggers AND the green filter will go through. Which means a lead can do this every second if desired.

Your specific question is that No, if all three triggers go off at once, the lead will only trigger one email. Marketo will only "hear" the fastest trigger.

What Justin is saying is "Do you want the lead to get the email every time they meet the conditions, or do you want the lead to get one email per day?"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Amanda,

One thing you could try is adding the filter

Not Was Sent Email = Email Name

In the last 1 minute

I did a quick test on myself where I set the trigger to qualify from updating first and last name.  Then updated both first and last name at the same time in our CRM, saved, and synced to CRM.

As a result I only received one email.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

-Ryan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhh I re-tested it and that isn't a reliable way to go.. Sorry 😞

Chris_Shaffer
Level 2

What was the reason that it wasn't working reliably ? This seems like the most straight forward solution to the problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I updated my record the first time in salesforce I physically updated my first name and last name, but for whatever reason both fields didn't sync. (I didn't realize this until I posted the question)

When i tried it again two emails were sent. My guess is that the trigger qualified from both triggers before the email was sent for the first one.

Because that rule isn't reliable I think that @gregoure_michel​ seems to have the best solution

-have all of the initial triggers add qualified members to a list

-set up a second campaign that is triggered off of being added to that list

> Sending out the email

> Waiting 10 seconds

> Removing member from the list

Thanks!

Chris_Shaffer
Level 2

yeup, I concur!