Multi-touch attribution via UTMs in custom object

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multi-touch attribution via UTMs in custom object

I am just reading about the new Custom Objects functionality (documentation is rather procedural, and not very descriptive).

Understanding Marketo Custom Objects - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

I haven't played with them yet, but... does it seem plausible to use a custom object to store UTM codes and thus build multi-touch attribution? Each new lead action with UTM codes would write to a new record in the "UTMs" custom object.

Is this viable, and could that data then be accessed in a meaningful way?

7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Multi-touch attribution via UTMs in custom object

Hi Ed,

Since the only way to populate custom object is through CRM sync, import or REST API, I do not think its feasible.

A better idea would be to store UTMs as activities, as proposed in this article Integrating Google Analytics with Marketo

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where is that documented, Grégoire? I see nothing about how custom objects are populated in the link I posted.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Ed,

I do not know where it is documented, but I have been a Beta tester of custom objects

The munchkin API and the forms 2.0 APIs, that could be used for browser to server interactions have nothing that would enable them to create custom objects.

-Greg

Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Hi Ed,

You can. Personally, I wouldn't.

Marketo's real analytic strength lies in using RCA in conjunction with campaigns and programs, where it can natively calculate your multitouch attributions (and sync up to any corresponding Salesforce campaigns for campaign-influenced opportunities.) As such, it makes a lot more sense to build a network of programs/campaigns that will do all the legwork for you rather than mucking about with a custom object for this specific case.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Ed,

If you check my site, I've written about UTMs alot. And there is a good article on this in one of the Nation Blogs.

Yes, you can def build a custom object to store each touch. In fact, I DO recommend this because several tools like Brightfunnel, Bizible, and Full Circle do this exact thing. This is far better than the Program setup in Marketo because you can get the complete picture of each touch.

While I agree with Courtney that using the Program touches are important, and built in, they lack the detail after the First/Last touch. So to capture more detail, you would require a custom object.

What I do recommend is to consider the marketing tech maturity model and evolve toward this level. It is not easy and there are huge pitfalls in how you setup the system to do this. It takes time and planning.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Josh. Yeah, we're not rushing into this; I just wanted to see if the potential I saw in custom objects was in fact there.

Part of my point is that Marketo probably should have more than a little bit of strictly-procedural documentation on what looks like a pretty big feature. (Either that, or make sandboxes cheaper so people can play around more liberally.) If understanding it requires delving into miscellaneous community posts, it is going to be underutilized.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest you take a look at the series of blog posts John Mattos​ wrote about the new custom objects:

Custom Objects 2.0 in Marketo - Part 1

Custom Objects in Marketo - Part 2 - REST API

Custom Objects in Marketo - Part 3 - SOAP API