SOLVED

Re: Moving on to the next Program in an Engagement Stream

Go to solution
Sean_Hardaker
Level 3

Moving on to the next Program in an Engagement Stream

How does a lead progress to the next Program or email in a Engagement Stream if this lead does not qualify to receive the email in the current Program?

There's a bunch of discussions on this topic but most of it is quite old and it seems that there was a change to how Marketo handles nested Programs last year (2016).

In the docs Adding a Program to an Engagement Program Stream - Marketo Docs - Product Docs "What happens to people who don't meet the smart list criteria?" - in the Smart Campaign the Smart List must have the Filter "Member of Engagement Program" set to True for this Engagement Program.  In the Flow steps we send the email based on criteria (possibly using membership of a Smart List for more advanced criteria that doesn't fit into a single Flow step condition). 

I've done this, leads who should receive the email get the email, leads that don't qualify did not progress to the next email in the Stream.

Is it still possible to nest Programs for leads with different criteria?  If so, can you layout the exact basic framework for this to work?

thanks

Sean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Balkar_Singh
Level 9 - Champion

Hi Sean,

If there's a set sequence for each set of qualified leads, and the leads won't transition between streams, you may use different content sequence in different streams. Therefore, leads with Qualification X get added to Stream X, which have all the assets - A,B, C in sequence. Another set of leads with Qualification Y can be pushed to a separate Stream Y, which just have 2 assets and skip B - A, C. However, it could get more confusing if you use transition across streams as well. Alternately, you could use standard campaigns and daisy chain then instead of using an engagement program. Yes, a leads need to be a member of the program they didn't qualify for, in order to push them ahead.

Hope this helps,

Balkar

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Balkar_Singh
Level 9 - Champion

Hi Sean,

Could you confirm if the leads qualify for the next email, and the communication limit is aligned with the cadence?

Thanks

Balkar

Sean_Hardaker
Level 3

Hi Balkar

Thanks for the quick response.  The next email is a plain email, not embedded within a Program so that shouldn't be a problem.  In terms of comms limit, it's set to 1 per day but there were about 5K leads that should have skipped the first Program and got the 2nd email in the stream and there wasn't any other emails scheduled for that day.

thanks

Sean

Balkar_Singh
Level 9 - Champion

Hi Sean,

Just to confirm that I don't misunderstand, by "did not progress" - do you mean that the leads qualified for the next email were not sent the next email instead of the one they were disqualified from? The next email will be sent at next cast. The present cast runs, and the lead skips receiving the email as it's disqualified as per the rules in choices - it's still a member of the campaign, but the choices in flow restrict the lead from receiving content. Or did you mean that the leads did not get the email even in the next cast?

Thanks

Balkar

Sean_Hardaker
Level 3

do you mean that the leads qualified for the next email were not sent the next email instead of the one they were disqualified from? - Balkar Singh

Yes

The next email will be sent at next cast. - Balkar Singh

So if the lead doesn't qualify for the first Program it has to wait for the next scheduled run before it can get to the next Program or email?  I thought it kept going until it is sent an email.

The present cast runs, and the lead skips receiving the email as it's disqualified as per the rules in choices - it's still a member of the campaign, but the choices in flow restrict the lead from receiving content. - Balkar Singh

I didn't add the lead to the Program it didn't qualify for. Should I?

Balkar_Singh
Level 9 - Champion

Hi Sean,

Please see inline,

So if the lead doesn't qualify for the first Program it has to wait for the next scheduled run before it can get to the next Program or email? -Yes

I didn't add the lead to the Program it didn't qualify for. Should I?- if a lead is stuck at a program, it won't progress. It needs to go through the campaign send. The choices in flow is a way around to have the leads miss the send. If a lead is a member of engagement program and did not qualify for the program prior to the next send, it won't progress and be stuck there. Yes, the lead needs to go through the program, even if the flow steps restrict it from receiving the content

Hope this helps!

Balkar

Sean_Hardaker
Level 3

Thanks so much for your help. Just to clarify...

So if the lead doesn't qualify for the first Program it has to wait for the next scheduled run before it can get to the next Program or email? -Yes

Is this how it should work then?

Slide2.PNG

Isn't the this behavior quite restrictive? I want a group of leads to all get an email every week even if all the content in the Stream is not applicable to every lead. Like this:

Slide3.PNG

I didn't add the lead to the Program it didn't qualify for. Should I?- if a lead is stuck at a program, it won't progress. It needs to go through the campaign send. The choices in flow is a way around to have the leads miss the send. If a lead is a member of engagement program and did not qualify for the program prior to the next send, it won't progress and be stuck there. Yes, the lead needs to go through the program, even if the flow steps restrict it from receiving the content

So to confirm does a lead still need to become a member of a Program they didn't qualify for in order that they don't get stuck at that program every time they go though the Stream?

Thanks again

Sean

Balkar_Singh
Level 9 - Champion

Hi Sean,

If there's a set sequence for each set of qualified leads, and the leads won't transition between streams, you may use different content sequence in different streams. Therefore, leads with Qualification X get added to Stream X, which have all the assets - A,B, C in sequence. Another set of leads with Qualification Y can be pushed to a separate Stream Y, which just have 2 assets and skip B - A, C. However, it could get more confusing if you use transition across streams as well. Alternately, you could use standard campaigns and daisy chain then instead of using an engagement program. Yes, a leads need to be a member of the program they didn't qualify for, in order to push them ahead.

Hope this helps,

Balkar

Sean_Hardaker
Level 3

Thanks Balkar, I'm actually astonished that this isn't better documented.

Balkar_Singh
Level 9 - Champion

Hi Sean,

Found an idea post regarding this you'l like to vote on

Thanks!

Balkar