Re: Methods for having a separate Unsubscribe link for each branding domain

Eben_Shapiro
Level 3

Methods for having a separate Unsubscribe link for each branding domain

Looking around on the community it doesn't look like it's possible to have a separate Unsubscribe link for each branding domain, is that right?

(I'm referencing number 6 under "What's Really Missing")

Is there no variable that can be used in the in the Unsubscribe HTML in the Email Admin section that will change dynamically based on the chosen branding domain?

I had an idea for a workaround, where perhaps the user can be redirected to the right unsubscribe page based on what the document.referrer value is. I assume this would work as long as the user were being referred by the email tracking server. Let me know if this sounds risky.

Another alternative is, for all emails that are not using the default branding domain, to make them operational emails to hide the default Unsubscribe HTML and to add the unsubscribe link directly to the template. Is this the best option for now?

Thank you,
Eben

12 REPLIES 12
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Just setup a domain alias for each in Admin > Landing Pages > Rules and then direct the user accordingly in each email to the right unsubscribe link.

Change the link in your email like http://<my_domain_alias>/Unsubscribe.html depending on which tracking link your using for the email.

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

You get even do it with a my.token for an entire folder if you know ahead of time all the emails in that folder will have a specific tracking link!

Eben_Shapiro
Level 3

Hi Justin, I'm not quite clear on the whole picture for the first solution. Would this email link be able to go into the email settings' global Unsubscribe HTML template, or should it be placed directly in the email?

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

In this case, you would want to override Marketo's auto-insertion of the unsubscribe for whatever emails require a different domain and you would want to place the appropriate link directly in those emails.

Lets say you have the main landing page CNAME as pages.company.com in your subscription and create a domain alias for unsubscribe.othercompany.com

In those specific emails, add your link manually to unsubscribe.company.com/unsubscribe.html

Jennifer_Kaelin
Level 1

Hi - If I override Marketo's auto-insertion of the unsubscribe and manually add the unsubscribe links within the emails for each branding domain, what will happen to the unsubscribe link that is in emails that were already sent? This is if I use <!--This is a comment --> after removing the Unsubscribe HTML Text From the "Admin -> Email" Section to override the auto-insertion.

Based on this document - Remove Unsubscribe Text From the "Admin -> Email" Section - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Existing emails that are in someone's inbox won't get changed. The links will still work if the page they're pointing to still exists. So, it would just start working the way you'd want it to moving forward if you were pointing different templates to different branding domains.

Jennifer_Kaelin
Level 1

Thanks for the confirmation, Justin!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jennifer,

have you red this : The comprehensive guide to setting up the unsubscribe link ?

-Greg

Jennifer_Kaelin
Level 1

This is helpful! Thank you, Grégoire Michel!