Merging Tokens in an Activity Log

Anonymous
Not applicable

Merging Tokens in an Activity Log

Is there a way to merge tokens in an activity log?

We use tokens in our From Name & Email Address. Currently, Marketo seems to write out the entire token in the activity log that is synced to Salesforce – for example, it writes {{lead.Sales Region Rep Email:default=info@company.com}} rather than the actual email that was sent from.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks!
Carolyn
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Merging Tokens in an Activity Log

If you put it in an insteresting moment, does it sync the resolved value?
Anonymous
Not applicable

It does – our interesting moments are merged correctly.

The challenge relates to the Comments section in Activities. When Marketo logs an activity, the subject includes the trigger name (for example, Filled Out Form: www.company.com). However, the comments section does not merge our From email address and name tokens.

Instead, the comments will say:

Link: www. company.com
From: {{lead.Sales Region Rep:default=Company Name}} {{lead.Sales Region Rep Email:default=info@company.com}}. Click https://na3.salesforce.com/00X50000001mfzZEAQ for email details

Since the above two tokens aren't merged, we cannot actually know who the email was sent from at the report level.
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Carolyn,

Can you show a screenshot of exactly the flow and activity log?

There might be a token error that is causing this. Can you check the Results tab of the corresponding campaign?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh,

It's not actually campaign-related. On a campaign level, the tokens are merging properly (interesting moments, etc.). However, whenever a lead does an action (fills out a form, clicked link in email, etc.), we've set Marketo to log an activity in Salesforce.

This is where the tokens are failing. 

0EM50000000SPKG.jpg

I have a feeling that we may be out of luck, unfortunately. 
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes, so you need to check the campaign flow that is assigning these Tasks. Check the Results tab to see if there are errors. I wonder if it is has something to do with a race condition...

Why not use IMs or the automated Task creation in Admin > SFDC integration?

You may want to raise a ticket with Support because this is a bit odd.
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are actually using the automated task creation in Admin > SFDC integration. You think it's a Support issue?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes actually, I think you should call support. This isn't how we want this to work, and is something we might be able to fix.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes actually, I think you should call support. This isn't how we want this to work, and is something we might be able to fix. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, it appears that resolving lead tokens on activities is currently impossible. 😞 We don't have an Apex developer, so we won't be able to get this functionality.

From Marketo Support:

Our SFDC Integration Product Manager confirmed that it has always been the case where we don't resolve the token for the activity sync.

If you have a SFDC developer, there is one possible workaround. You can create an APEX trigger such that when a task is created by a Marketo sync user, parse the task description and replace the token with values using the actual field values stored in SFDC.

Interesting moment as you know will also resolve the token.

I've created an Idea here in case anyone would like to go out and vote!
https://community.marketo.com/MarketoIdeaDetail?id=08750000000KKwrAAG