Merge Leads but don't merge Score

Anonymous
Not applicable

Merge Leads but don't merge Score

Hi Community,

How can we prevent Marketo from adding scores from multiple records that are being merged?

We are deduping our database and merging records together. This unfortunately is creating inflated MQL's because the scores are being added together.

How can we undo the merging of the score leads and how can we prevent this moving forward?

Hoi

12 REPLIES 12
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Merge Leads but don't merge Score

Hi Hoi,

If you merge leads in Marketo, you have the possibility, on merge, to set manually a value for fields, rather that letting Marketo setting it. Just use the "Custom" column in the merge assistant.

pastedImage_0.png

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Second thought : the lead score standard field may not be available in that screen...

In this case, you would have to copy the score in another score field before merging, do the merge as written above, and then copy back the score to the lead score field after merge.

Tip : to filter leads that were merged in a smart list there is no "lead was merged" filter. YOu can use the "Lead was created" filter with a "Min Number of Time = 2" constraint

-Greg

aielloca_1
Level 1

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the insight, Greg.

We used DemandTools via Salesforce to do all of our merging. It sounds like this will make it virtually impossible to control how Marketo merges Score fields. We will have to think of some other way to prevent Marketo from merging these scores.

Do you have any suggestions on how to undo historical score merges?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi again Hoi.

Marketo score fields cannot be set from SFDC. But you can have them set from inside Marketo with a smart campaign. The best way is :

1. create a number field in SFDC and copy the score to it before merge,
  2. set Demandtools to keep one the the values (the highest for instance)
  3. after merge, have all the score changed back to the previous value with a smart campaign in Marketo. Just use a change datavalue flow step to do this, not a change score flow step. There will be no trigger available to detect the merge, so you would better add the leads to a list or and SFDC campaign before or just after merging them, so that you will be able to know which one you just merged.

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

And also : vote here :

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! We're dealing with the same problem -- tons of "fake" MQLs getting sent to Sales because of this Marketo behavior.

I'm in the process of merging duplicate Leads and Contacts (so a Lead-to-Contact merge) with Ringlead (which doesn't let you export any of the duplicates that it identifies in its data cleanse reports). The Contact is naturally always the master, and we are fine with having the Contact's lead score be the score that carries over to the final, merged record.

The workaround I devised was to generate this smart list in Marketo to isolate the duplicate Leads. In Ringlead, we're only merging records that have an exact match on email address -- so I assumed that this smart list in Marketo would be 90-95% the same as what we're seeing there:

DuplicateLeadSmartListCriteria.png

From here, I ran a single flow action to change lead score for all Leads to "0". Thus, when the Leads and Contacts get merged and their scores get added, there's no change.

So far it's working exactly as it should! Now, I'm not sure how to effect this workaround for Lead-Lead merges -- the fact that we're merging different object types allowed me to isolate 1/2 of each duplicate pair.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Zoe,

This smart list will only give the lead-lead duplicates, not the lead-contacts duplicates. Is this what you are looking for ?

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can only assume this list pulled all leads with a duplicate match on email address (regardless of record type) because all of the leads I then went onto merge with duplicate contacts in RingLead had a score of 0, which was the desired outcome.