Re: Measure external hosted web page visits with url variable

Franky_Ruyssch2
Level 4

Measure external hosted web page visits with url variable

Hi,

I came across the following problem today. We have a published article in a digital magazine (today) that links to a page on our website ( drupal web site )

The url for the link contains UTM parameters source-medium and campaign

In google analytics I see 5 visits so far. I can see the campaign id and the source/medium. Everything is ok there.

But, I have a campaign running measuring the effectiveness for the ad in Marketo.

One of the smart campaigns = "10 - Clicked Ad", in which I want to measure the "visits web page" is build with the following smart list

visits_web_page.png

The campaign members overview doesn't show me contacts, so I am wondering what is the cause :

- Is my definition for the "Visits Web Page" correct ( I am doing Web page = Any , work with a query string parameter and a referrer since this is an external page )

- Can the cause be the fact that the 5 registered visits in google analytics are from unknown people ( no marketo cookie )

Franky Ruysschaert
2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Does your domain use SSL? If it doesn't, you shouldn't rely on the Referrer being present.

- Can the cause be the fact that the 5 registered visits in google analytics are from unknown people ( no marketo cookie )

Of course. (Not "no Marketo cookie" though, a still-anonymous cookie.)

Loren_Posendek
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

I think your hunch of the 5 Google Analytics visitors are unknown people in Marketo is correct. Have you tried testing this out with your own known Marketo record?