Re: Maxing out our Daily API calls on SFDC?

Elise_Stieren
Level 2

Maxing out our Daily API calls on SFDC?

Our marketo instance has a daily API limit of 50k calls every 24 hr period. I understand this to be pretty standard across the users. 
However, when we pull a daily API Call report in salesforce it showing well over 100k calls from our marketo sync. 
How is this happening if our limit is 50k?
Is the call being made from SFDC and not the other way around?
Please advise. How do I reduce the number calls being made so our SFDC instance does not hit its max?
Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 8.51.27 AM.png
5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The native Mkto-SFDC sync uses SFDC API calls.

The Marketo REST (and sometimes SOAP) APIs are used by other integrations.

Elise_Stieren
Level 2

If the native Mkto-SFDC sync uses SFDC API calls, that means the call originate from SFDC and not Marketo? And that's why we're not hitting our 50k limit?

And if that is the case, then is the the fix on the marketo end or the salesforce end? Do I instruct sales ops to increase the api limit or change the number of API calls SDFC makes to marketo?

SanfordWhiteman

The API calls (in both cases) are used by inbound connections to the service providing the API.

Ergo, when Marketo makes a connection to SFDC to check for SFDC-side updates and/or push pending updates that were made on the Mkto side during the sync interval, that's using SFDC API calls + counted against your SFDC API limit.

Elise_Stieren
Level 2

Understand. 

Everytime Marketo checks for SFDC-side updates and/or push updates to SFDC it counts agains our SFDC API Count.

Updates received and pushed to SFDC from Marketo do NOT count against our Marketo API count. Is this statement correct?

How do I lower the number of SFDC API through marketo (without have Sales Ops increase the number of SFDC API calls)?

1. Call marketo support and ask them to decrease the interval sync? I understand the standard is 5 minutes, so I would increase the minutes correct?

2. Use campaign inspector to see what campaigns are using SFDC flow steps? What flow steps and/or triggers am I looking for? 

Are there other solutions?

SanfordWhiteman

A nice rundown is here: https://nation.marketo.com/docs/DOC-4809-salesforce-sync-error-daily-api-limit-reached 

Take those steps before increasing the sync interval.