SOLVED

Marking Anonymous Leads with Additional Information

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marking Anonymous Leads with Additional Information

I'm using the Web Page Activity Report to send daily emails to my Executive team showing all of the anonymous lead activity on our website. Currently, I have the report sorted by page views (descending) so that the most active leads are at the top. I only show the top 15 by email and the rest are sent in an Excel attachment.

With this report, I'm trying to find a way to make this easy for the executives who want to sort by Domestic v. International, but there's no field for that. So far all I've come up with is:

1) Sort by country so that US falls to the bottom of the list (but then I lose fast visibility of the top 15 most active leads on my website)

2) Ask them to download and pivot or mark by country each day (which is a pain in the ass and a waste of upper management's time)

3) Make two reports - one international and one domestic - so that they're automatically separated (but then they'd have to integrate the reports together to see the full picture)

4) Magic

Options 1-3 are not ideal solutions. If I were able to run a program that took all anonymous leads and added an extra field that marked them "international" or "domestic" and then I could add that field to my report and then sort based on TWO criteria like in Excel (first level I want to sort by international v domestic, second level by page views) would be ideal, but I don't know if it's possible. Any recommendations?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Marking Anonymous Leads with Additional Information

If I were able to run a program that took all anonymous leads and added an extra field that marked them "international" or "domestic"

In the past, you could enrich anonymous leads via SCs.  Now (maybe in the near future for your instance, but you might as well treat it as "now" because it'll break) anonymous leads won't trigger campaigns while they're still anonymous.

IMO reporting on still-anonymous sessions should be done using GA.  Marketo can give robust data on the anonymous activities performed by since-converted leads prior to their identification/creation, but it isn't the right place for trending visitors as a whole.

All that said, if there there's a forward-compatible trick, go for it.  But I can't think of one offhand.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If I were able to run a program that took all anonymous leads and added an extra field that marked them "international" or "domestic"

In the past, you could enrich anonymous leads via SCs.  Now (maybe in the near future for your instance, but you might as well treat it as "now" because it'll break) anonymous leads won't trigger campaigns while they're still anonymous.

IMO reporting on still-anonymous sessions should be done using GA.  Marketo can give robust data on the anonymous activities performed by since-converted leads prior to their identification/creation, but it isn't the right place for trending visitors as a whole.

All that said, if there there's a forward-compatible trick, go for it.  But I can't think of one offhand.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes.

As a follow up I've never recommended that these reports go to executives. These reports are for territory reps and prospectors.

If you really want to help them see the data, you'll have to prep it for them and send it over in a package. The automation here isn't designed for what they want. GA can do this as well as Tableau if it's setup properly.