Marketo sending old version of email

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo sending old version of email

Hi,

I have a series of emails set up to flow out to people who fill out a certain form.

After making this live, I made a change to the emails, by removing the address from the footer.

One recipient, who signed up for the emails before I made this change, is still getting the emails with the address in the footer.

Can anyone tell me how to make sure the new emails are being sent?

I've sent test emails that are up to date, but the live ones in the queue are still the old version.

Any help?

Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Marketo sending old version of email

Hi Peter,

Sorry if I am asking obvious questions , but are you sure you approved you email draft ?

AFAIK, when you approve a new draft of an email, this new version will be sent only to people for whom the "send email" flow step is fired after your new draft has been approved. Anyone whose flow step has been fired before the draft approval will receive the old version. But normally, there should not be that many people in this situation, since the delay between the "send email event" and the email actually leaves the email server is very short.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

Yes, I definitely approved the draft.

So, this is normal behavior?

Thanks again.

Brooke_Bartos1
Level 6 - Champion

Hi Peter,

If I'm reading this right, there are several emails that are sent after the fact, not just one. It sounds to me like the person is already in the campaign flow steps. If that is the case, you'll need to initiate a new Smart Campaign to remove the person from the flow they are currently in. If there are additional assets they will still need to receive, you'll then need to create a new flow for them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Brooke.

I understand. I think I can get away with just explaining it to the person in question, so I won't need to set up a whole new campaign.

I just wanted to be sure there was nothing wrong in the system.

If I understand this correctly, the emails that are approved and in the queue when a person fills out the form are the ones that person will get, even if there are subsequent updates to those emails.

Have I got that right?

Thanks again.

Darrell_Alfons2
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hmm no, that doesn't sound right.

It should send the updated version of the email.

Brooke_Bartos1
Level 6 - Champion

This is correct. Once the flow has begun, they will continue to get the assets because the flow was initiated for that specific email as it was. I was taught that this is just one of those tricky nuances of Marketo, and in fact I actually had to do this process myself the other day for this very same reason.

Darrell_Alfons2

oh good to know. they should totally fix that then, what if the flow step sends an email a month later.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If I understand this correctly, the emails that are approved and in the queue when a person fills out the form are the ones that person will get, even if there are subsequent updates to those emails.

Have I got that right?

Don't believe so, no.

Both of the takes in this thread can't be true simultaneously, and I think there's a severe misunderstanding here.

With the exception of Head Start, a lead will get the Approved version of an email at the point the Send Email executes. Not the Approved version of an email from the point they qualify for a Smart Campaign.

This is easy to test.

1. Start your flow with a Change Data Value or another easily auditable action, followed by a Wait Step of 1-2 minutes, followed by a Send Email.
  2. Kick off the campaign.
  3. Wait for a lead to show the Change Data Value in their Activity Log, proving they've entered the flow.
  4. Change (move quickly, now!) the email contents and reapprove.
  5. Watch the ​Send Email go out.
  6. Examine the email in your Inbox.

I suspect that what you're experiencing isn't related to the time the lead entered the flow, but to some other content-related aspect such as dynamic content. Or simply a corrupt email.

Darrell_Alfons2

Yes this is what I was thinking was correct. Haven't tested it so I couldn't say definitively, but this way makes more sense.