Marketo lack of support for inline css style='padding:value'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo lack of support for inline css style='padding:value'

Is there anything new afoot (i.e. plans to support it) for Marketo's lack of support for padding in inline CSS in emails?

Best-practice workarounds? Implement padding with tables? other?

The dreaded:

CSS errors detected in your email

Check formatting after fixing

Errors:

3 - remove style='padding:value'

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Re: Marketo lack of support for inline css style='padding:value'

I just did it successfully in an email. 

I opened an editable section, clicked HTML, then added:

<div id="testMe" style="padding-left: 40px;">Test Text</div>

Worked fine.
Anonymous
Not applicable

padding-left: [x]

is different from

padding: [x]

but you may have answered the question re: a workaround...
Jason_Scott
Level 4

Great resource on CSS support by email client.  It's a little old but, still good.

https://www.campaignmonitor.com/css/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Jason - that's a good resource.

The issue I'm facing though is on the Marketo side, not the client side. Designer sends an HTML template with

style='padding:value'

Marketo permits it in the template, but when creating an email from the template, it throws an error and strips it out, so all the padding is gone and the template is thrown off.

It seems like I'll have to have the designer re-work the template to use style='padding-left:value' and padding-top, padding-bottom, padding-right, etc.
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

It actually even works when it is in a template. All that happens is the "Clean up CSS" dialog comes up since some email clients don't play nice with padding. You can always click "Cancel" when creating your email asset from that template and still create an email with it. You're not forced to fix that issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

>>You're not forced to fix that issue.

Agreed.  But for ease of workflow, and not having everyone rediscover each time that "the template is messed up!" I think it's better if we re-work the templates to avoid generating the error.
Jason_Scott
Level 4

I've noticed if you use padding-top:, padding-bottom:, padding-right:, padding-left: it does NOT give you the "clean up" box.  Plus, it plays nice with email clients.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Jason. Our dev guy also reported another fix below.

Getting rid of the 'clean up' box is important, because a workflow that says "Yea, you get that error, but don't let Marketo fix it for you!" just won't work in our environment, and it's going to lead to a lot of re-work of e-mails after someone mistakenly allows Marketo to "fix" the HTML, realizes the padding is lost, and then needs to go re-create the email from the template.

Another fix: