Marketo delays- no new lead entering SFDC

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo delays- no new lead entering SFDC

Hi

We have been experiencing significant delays in Marketo for the last days. No new leads are entering SFDC and alerts are not being sent.  The sync is happening as it should but the campaign queue has a long backlog which may be the reason.

I have more than 1000 campaigns running.

The most common flow steps for them are: Change data value, Send email, Sync to SFDC, Change Program Status, Send Alert, Add to / Remove from List which have the priority 50 and 75 respectively. They are all priorities executed at a same time  and Marketo told us that this is the main reason of the campaign backlog.

Which campaigns do you guys run overnight?

How do you solve the issue?

Thanks this is quite urgent and it is affecting our Marketo performance.

6 REPLIES 6
Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Re: Marketo delays- no new lead entering SFDC

Hi Sara Barriuso Tapia​,

just some questions and thoughts.

I'm wondering what batch campaigns you are running each night? 

Are you running several? 

Do they hit your whole database? (Can you change the smart list to be "Leads created today" for example to try and reduce the amount of searching the system is doing).

Do all your batch campaigns run at the same time?

Do they have to run every night? Could they not run every few days or once a week, maybe at the weekend when the business is possibly closed.  Campaigns to clean up data might not need to run every night.  Have you prioritised all your campaigns.  It might me a good idea to draw up a quick timetable in Excel of your batch campaigns and what days they run.  Its handy to quickly look at it and be able to see what runs on what days and at what times (Like an easier to look at Campaign Inspector).

Do you review your batch and trigger campaigns and turn off redundant ones?  I recently reviewed an instance and turned off over 600 active trigger campaigns that were not used.  They were for old event registrations and form fills that were not even live any more.  They may not be slowing down the system that much more but having a clean-up policy in place will definitely let you keep on top of things and keep the system as healthy as it can be.

Thats my two cents worth.

Thanks,

Gerard

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gerard Donnelly,Untitled.jpg

Thanks for your answer. Pic attached

I answer to your questions below

I'm wondering what batch campaigns you are running each night? 

------So far non, that’s why I ask. I need to leverage the backlog and I think I can do something overnight

Are you running several? 

--------None. I have just taken over  anew instance

Do they hit your whole database? (Can you change the smart list to be "Leads created today" for example to try and reduce the amount of searching the system is doing).

------ All the campaigns schedule are trigger based, no batch. I was wondering If I could do batchs for the scoring or others. What will be your recommendation?

Do all your batch campaigns run at the same time?

------ not applicable

Do they have to run every night? Could they not run every few days or once a week, maybe at the weekend when the business is possibly closed.  Campaigns to clean up data might not need to run every night.  Have you prioritised all your campaigns.  It might me a good idea to draw up a quick timetable in Excel of your batch campaigns and what days they run.  Its handy to quickly look at it and be able to see what runs on what days and at what times (Like an easier to look at Campaign Inspector).

----- This still needs to be scheduled

Do you review your batch and trigger campaigns and turn off redundant ones?  I recently reviewed an instance and turned off over 600 active trigger campaigns that were not used.  They were for old event registrations and form fills that were not even live any more.  They may not be slowing down the system that much more but having a clean-up policy in place will definitely let you keep on top of things and keep the system as healthy as it can be.

------- You mean I should turn off triggers of old event isn’t it?

Thanks

Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Hi Sara Barriuso Tapia​,

Are you on a shared server? It could also be that another customer on the same server is simultaneously running process intensive campaigns that have a high priority.

Have you read this doc? It will explain things probably better than I can How Campaign Processing Works

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I did came a across that article yesterday and Marketo also shared that with me.

This Marketo instance  has been operating like this since the beginning at it is the first time that this happens.

It should be a non shared server. any other thoughts?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

We experienced a huge campaign backlog like this last week - over 500 entries.  Eventually it cleared out, but this was the first that I've seen a backlog like this.  Usually we have less than 5, if any, each time I look.  And it had the same effect that you are having (leads not being synced, alerts going out without key information (since they rely on things like the CRM link/GUID so a link can be embedded within the alert to access the lead directly in CRM).  We are the San Jose pod - which has been experiencing multiple issues lately.  If you're on the SJ pod, your instance URL will have the initials "sjxx" in it, e.g., app-sj08.marketo.com.

We opened a ticket with Support when this happened.  Still haven't heard back as it's with Engineering.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  Dan Stevens ,

Many thanks for your answer. We are based in the UK so It should be a different server.

How long did it take for you to clear out?

Did you take any corrective actions like doing more batch campaigns when you can avoid triggers?

- Demographic scoring update over night

- Data clean up

After a week  leads are still not coming.. any suggestions?

Thanks

Sara