SOLVED

Marketo cannot identify web form fillout: <unknown>

Go to solution
Dan_Radu5
Level 1

Marketo cannot identify web form fillout: <unknown>

I've been noticing that some records are entering in the database through a web form fill out. However Marketo cannot identify the name of the form (substituting <unknown>) they filled out to do so.

ScribbleLive-Form-Fill-Out-Unknown.png

Has anyone encountered this issue before, and if so how did you identify the form?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Marketo cannot identify web form fillout: <unknown>

Unfortunately there is no detail in the record's activity log to indicate the page where they came from or any web activity.

Yes, it would appear you have some legacy back-end process somewhere, probably processing some one-off HTML form, that just throws data at the /save endpoint and expects it to stick (which to be fair, it does!). If the process included more info about itself (like a source field) you'd be able to identify it. Right now, it deliberately just includes the Email field and the Munchkin ID.

How do you prevent POST to the forms endpoint without a form id?

If you turn the Admin Treasure Chest option "Reject Invalid Form" that should do it. But I don't advise switching that on if you're getting legit leads this way, unless you're sure someone will immediately holler, "Hey, my weird old form doesn't work anymore."

I would do a more thorough canvassing of all the possible people who could be maintaining legacy back-end code first. Tell them you're seeing HTTP form-encoded POSTs to the Marketo instance (app-nnnn.marketo.com/index.php/leadCapture/save) and hopefully they'll search their source code and find the culprit.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

What are the other properties of that Detail page? Does it have the page hosting this unknown form? This behavior happens if you POST (server-side post, which is of course not recommended) to the forms endpoint without a form id.

Dan_Radu5
Level 1

Hi Sandford,

Thanks for the response.

The extended activity details page can be found here.

ScribbleLive-Activity-Details-Form-Fill-Unknown.png

Unfortunately there is no detail in the record's activity log to indicate the page where they came from or any web activity.

How do you prevent POST to the forms endpoint without a form id? As well, would you know how the form could be located?

Thanks again for your help.

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, it would appear you have some legacy back-end process somewhere, probably processing some one-off HTML form, that just throws data at the /save endpoint and expects it to stick (which to be fair, it does!). If the process included more info about itself (like a source field) you'd be able to identify it. Right now, it deliberately just includes the Email field and the Munchkin ID.

How do you prevent POST to the forms endpoint without a form id?

If you turn the Admin Treasure Chest option "Reject Invalid Form" that should do it. But I don't advise switching that on if you're getting legit leads this way, unless you're sure someone will immediately holler, "Hey, my weird old form doesn't work anymore."

I would do a more thorough canvassing of all the possible people who could be maintaining legacy back-end code first. Tell them you're seeing HTTP form-encoded POSTs to the Marketo instance (app-nnnn.marketo.com/index.php/leadCapture/save) and hopefully they'll search their source code and find the culprit.

Dan_Radu5
Level 1

Thanks Sandford,

Your response was very helpful.