I am working on the initial setup of a new Marketo and Saleforce sync. I have not done the initial sync yet, because I am stuck on step 4 where you define the field mappings. When I was checking that the Marketo fields that I created in Salesforce were mapping correctly, I realized that one of my field API names had a typo and thus was not mapping correctly. I went back to our Salesforce development environment and fixed the name and made sure that the lead object was mapped to convert correctly to a contact. I asked the Salesforce admin to move this to the production instance (I don't have admin access to the production instance and therefore can't make changes or see API field names). Now when I have checked back in Marketo, there seems to be no change to the fields and the mapping is still wrong, even after I reset the schema. Does this mean that he didn't move the information to the production instance or are there other steps that I need to take in Marketo to fix this before doing my initial sync?
Thank you for any help that you can provide!
I never actually enabled it, so I am not sure how to disable it. Here is what I see on the Salesforce screen:
Any recommendations of how to disable the sync?
I do not think you even need to. The SFDC connector is self healing, meaning it can automatically handle when a field seems to have been removes (which is how it sees a field which API name has changed).
I would proceed with the sync. The new field (i.e. the renamed one) will also be normally mapped. The worse case scenario would be that both the old and new fields are created, in which case the support can help you and "deep hide" the field you do not need any more (meaning it will disappear from your UI).
Thanks for the input. So if the updates have been made in Salesforce it may not show up in Marketo but the sync should still self-correct?
Yes, this is it.
Any change made in SFDC after the sync will show up in Marketo. This is the first time I hear of a case where the change is made in the middle of the setup. I am afraid you will have to run it to know, since anyway, there is no other possibility. Anyway, support can still help you after to remap correctly the fields.
It has been about a month, but to circle back on my original question: When there was a change of the Salesforce api name during the initial sync Marketo was able to figure out the changes and remap the fields correctly after the changes had been made in Salesforce. If anyone runs in to this issue, I would suggest making the necessary adjustments in Salesforce as soon as you realize there is a mistake and before starting the initial sync. Fixing the API names during the initial setup made it so that we didn't need to engage Marketo support to remap or "deep hide" fields.
Thanks for your help!