Re: Marketo and SFDC fields when duplicates are merged

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo and SFDC fields when duplicates are merged

I've been reading a lot about what info is retained and how to choose which fields' info trumps the other when merging duplicate records in Marketo and I'd just like a few clarifications.

When merging from Marketo:

• If we have some sfdc fields hidden/unmapped from Marketo, how can we choose which info from those fields will be retained in sfdc?
  • Will all sfdc tasks and events be retained and merged?
  • What if two contacts are associated with different opportunities in sfdc, will the newly merged contact retain all those associations?

When merging from SFDC:

• Will things like Marketo program membership and status be merged? If so, if this info is conflicting, can we control which one is retained?
  • Is there a way to be notified in Marketo if and when records are merged in sfdc?
  • Is there any data I'm not thinking of that may not be retained if the merge happens in sfdc?

Any other tips or things to consider would be very helpful!

3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Candane,

Our product Marketo Deduplicator (Marketo Duplicates: Leadonance Deduplicator to the Rescue – Marketo LaunchPoint ) allows to dedupe  automatically thousands of leads from Marketo and pass these changes to SFDC using custom logic, so I can say about what happens when you initiate deduplication from Marketo.

1) If we have some sfdc fields hidden/unmapped from Marketo, how can we choose which info from those fields will be retained in sfdc?

Fields created in SFDC are automatically passed to Marketo, unless they are specifically hidden from the Marketo sync user, so if they have been passed to Marketo and if you specify no custom rules for those, then the value will be inherited from the winner lead. Let me know if I understood your question right.

2) Will all sfdc tasks and events be retained and merged?

If leads are merged in Marketo and they are properly associated with SFDC contacts and your Marketo sync user can change objects such as tasks and events, then all associated connections with events and tasks will be inherited by the winner lead.

3) What if two contacts are associated with different opportunities in sfdc, will the newly merged contact retain all those associations?

Same thing as with #2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Paul. In regards to question one, we do have fields specifically hidden from our sync user.

As the reverse of this, if we have Marketo-only fields and decide to dedupe from the salesforce end, how will it choose which info to retain?