SOLVED

Re: Marketo-Zoom Integration Data Flow

Go to solution
Vishakha_Waghel
Level 2

Marketo-Zoom Integration Data Flow

Hi,

I am currently trying to figure out Marketo -Zoom integration and referred https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/207267346-Setting-Up-Zoom-for-Marketo for the information but what is missing in this document is the data flow diagram. From the document, I understand that Webhooks pass on the registration information from Marketo to Zoom, and the attendee information is passed from Zoom to Marketo in JSON format through Marketo's REST API. 

Can someone please elaborate more on this, which will help me understand more about it? Also what type of lead information is passed to Zoom (Like the first name, last name, and email address only or more), and for how long does Zoom store the information?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Hi Laura

That step all happens behind the scenes so it's tough to test, unfortunately. The only way I know to do it is to put that token of {{member.webinar url}} in an email, then send a sample based on someone who has the status of "Registered". Then you should see the token output. 

If each person should be manually reviewed then you should use the program status "Waitlisted" while a person is in that holding step. Then pushing them to "registered" when you accept them. 

For custom questions, you can define these in your Marketo form. Remember all registrants must be via Marketo once the integration is set up 🙂 So put those questions in your form and you will have what you need. 

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Phillip_Wild

Hi Tony

* Zoom reminder emails - when you have the Marketo integration set up, you turn these off. No reason to use them since they are unbranded and aren't customisable.

* Setting up multiple webinars - nothing too complicated. Copy the previous event in Zoom and change the date etc, then clone the prior program in Marketo and connect the two. A little annoying, but straightforward.

* Embedding a Marketo form on your website - no issues, we do this. The form functionality is identical - it's nothing to do with Zoom. It's when you change a person's program status to be "member" of the Zoom-integrated program that the Zoom-specific stuff happens.

* Zoom registration page - I don't believe you can if you have a webinar integrated with Marketo. Marketo can pass people to Zoom, but I don't believe it works the other way around. Similar to the auto emails, if the integration is working correctly, there would be little value to doing this, since you're taking it from your branded environment to a non-branded one on Zoom.

Overall I would say the advantages for me are:

* Branding. No Zoom auto-emails that looks like every other brand. Same with the landing page.

* No list loading or Zapier integration. Since it all happens automatically, we can have 30 or 3000 people register for the webinar and they are loaded automatically to Marketo / SF using our templated Marketo event program. Without this, we either ditch the data, or load up a manual CSV. Yes, you could do this via Zapier too, but it's adding an extra layer of complication.

Having said that - this all assumes it works. It's working now. But there have been outages.

Alex_Holt
Level 1

You are correct, Randall. Webinar hosts may not register for their own webinar.

A nice way to get around this if you have gmail (or your company does) is to append a plus sign and then another word to your username, for example, username+testing_webinar@example.com.

If you look in the details for that specific activity you will see:

"Error registering with webinar provider. exception='API Error: Webinar host can not register for the webinar."

Alex Holt

11 REPLIES 11
Phillip_Wild

Hi Vishakha!

So unfortunately that is the deprecated version of the integration. Here is the new one: https://marketplace.zoom.us/apps/UJPZxd9sQ8-vOWP7ACfxIQ

Here's how it works:

1. Event program in Marketo is synced to a particular Zoom webinar via the "Event Settings" menu in Marketo.

2. People register for your event in Marketo, and you change their status to be "Registered" for the given program.

3. Marketo sends across first name, last name, and email address to Zoom for registrants.

4. Zoom sends back the individual join link for each person to Marketo. It's stored in the token {{member.webinar url}}. You can now use that token to send join emails to each person with their unique link.

5. At time of event, people join the webinar (or don't). At the conclusion of the webinar, Zoom sends information on attendance back to Marketo, and changes their Program Status to be either "Attended" or "No Show". 

Make sense? Effectively behind the scenes Zoom is using the Marketo API to "change program status", and to add that custom URL to a person's profile.

Unsure how long Zoom stores the information, but I'm guessing it would be for the life of your Zoom subscription.

Vishakha_Waghel
Level 2

@Phillip_Wild Thank you very much for your response. It is very helpful to understand more about it. 🙂

Laura_Baller2
Level 1

Hi Philip,

Could you please explain this step? 

"Zoom sends back the individual join link for each person to Marketo. It's stored in the token {{member.webinar url}}. You can now use that token to send join emails to each person with their unique link."

I've tried testing this and it so far hasn't worked yet. I saw some deprecated documentation; however, the latest instructions seem to state this should happen automatically. How were you able to do this? Our team requires manual review for every registrant so I'm wondering if our use case perhaps doesn't work for this feature; though, I'd really like to use this. 

Also, relatedly, do you have any guidance on passing custom questions at the time of registration so those are also captured? I've seen you in a few Zoom Webinar threads and am gathering you may have some answers. 🙂 

Thank you,

Laura

Phillip_Wild

Hi Laura

That step all happens behind the scenes so it's tough to test, unfortunately. The only way I know to do it is to put that token of {{member.webinar url}} in an email, then send a sample based on someone who has the status of "Registered". Then you should see the token output. 

If each person should be manually reviewed then you should use the program status "Waitlisted" while a person is in that holding step. Then pushing them to "registered" when you accept them. 

For custom questions, you can define these in your Marketo form. Remember all registrants must be via Marketo once the integration is set up 🙂 So put those questions in your form and you will have what you need. 

Good luck!

Tony_Membrino
Level 2

hi Philip...and Marketing Nation

I'm trying to get a better sense of the Marketo-Zoom Integration:

Is Zoom sending any emails such as the “day of reminder” email or are all webinar communications coming out of Marketo from the marketer 

What are people’s experiences setting up multiple webinars since recurring webinars are not supported? 

Anyone have issues embedding a marketo form on a website for webinar registrations rather than using a separate landing page?

Is anyone also using a zoom webinar registration page with this integration?

I'm also trying to gauge the real benefit of this integration over just setting Zoom Webinars up via Zoom and then getting the data into Marketo via something like Zapier

Thanks

Tony

Phillip_Wild

Hi Tony

* Zoom reminder emails - when you have the Marketo integration set up, you turn these off. No reason to use them since they are unbranded and aren't customisable.

* Setting up multiple webinars - nothing too complicated. Copy the previous event in Zoom and change the date etc, then clone the prior program in Marketo and connect the two. A little annoying, but straightforward.

* Embedding a Marketo form on your website - no issues, we do this. The form functionality is identical - it's nothing to do with Zoom. It's when you change a person's program status to be "member" of the Zoom-integrated program that the Zoom-specific stuff happens.

* Zoom registration page - I don't believe you can if you have a webinar integrated with Marketo. Marketo can pass people to Zoom, but I don't believe it works the other way around. Similar to the auto emails, if the integration is working correctly, there would be little value to doing this, since you're taking it from your branded environment to a non-branded one on Zoom.

Overall I would say the advantages for me are:

* Branding. No Zoom auto-emails that looks like every other brand. Same with the landing page.

* No list loading or Zapier integration. Since it all happens automatically, we can have 30 or 3000 people register for the webinar and they are loaded automatically to Marketo / SF using our templated Marketo event program. Without this, we either ditch the data, or load up a manual CSV. Yes, you could do this via Zapier too, but it's adding an extra layer of complication.

Having said that - this all assumes it works. It's working now. But there have been outages.

Tony_Membrino
Level 2

Thanks Phillip...very helpful. The branding aspect is valuable. Certainly more data insight within Marketo too using the integration. There's a certain ease of use just setting up the zoom webinar and not having to deal with sending out day of email reminders or creating programs within Marketo, but the advantages you listed are compelling. 

Appreciate the input.

Tony

Kim_Wieczner
Level 3

Have you had any experience pulling the dial in details in from Zoom to Marketo for anyone who wants to join by phone? In addition to the member URL?

Kim Burditt
Randall_Johnson
Level 2

I have my Marketo instance set up with Zoom and it seems to be working, however, I went through the registration process and while I received my email confirmation, my status was updated to registration error and was not passed to Zoom. I created the actual Zoom webinar so am considered the host. Could this be why my registration doesn't flow to Zoom. I've tested with several other email addresses and it works as it should.

Randall Johnson