Re: Marketo Website Tracking Query

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo Website Tracking Query

Hoping someone can give me some insight into something weird that's going on with our website and marketo.

Currently we have a marketo munchkin tracking our resources page Resources - iQuate which has a number of pdfs that are hosted on wordpress.

I was setting up our interesting moments last week and one the things our sales department said they would like to see is when a person views any of our collateral. So here is where I'm having the issue- we have 13 PDFs and only 2 of them are coming up in Marketo and I can't figure out why. Our web developer didn't do anything different in his recollection so he doesn't know why these two are getting picked up by marketo but none of the others are.

I was hoping someone here could give me some insight or thoughts on the cause of this or how I can make sure all PDF's get tracked?

Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jennifer,

I gave a look to the page and there is not reason why some would be tracked and some won't

Are you sure you are not limiting the number of times some one can run through the interesting moment smart campaigns (not havinf qualification rules set to every time) ?

What are the 2 that are tracked ?

-Greg

Stijn_Heijthuij
Level 7

Hi Jennifer,

Have the PDF's been online for a while, or did they just go up?

Is there any way in which you can share these pages with us? Preferably one or both that shows up and one or two that don't.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I clicked 'em all and saw a Munchkin event for each one.  So unless Stijn's point about these being new to your Marketo DB applies, this is a pretty strange problem. Like Stijn said, which ones are missing for you?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys,

I reached out to support and they said .pdf URLs can't be tracked as "no script is associated with the image/file" so I assume this is just standard and the issue I'm experiencing?

When I looked back at what I thought was getting tracked it led me to a 404 error page so I was in fact mistaken and none were getting tracked.

I'm trying to figure out an alternative way to track these based on their feedback so if you have any reccommendations that would be wonderful

SanfordWhiteman

I reached out to support and they said .pdf URLs can't be tracked as "no script is associated with the image/file" so I assume this is just standard and the issue I'm experiencing?

That is not correct.  A PDF URL cannot register a Visits Web Page action but the page that links a PDF can certainly register a Clicks Link in Web Page action.

Your PDFs are sending ​Clicks Link ​actions now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh okay- I might be able to sort it out using that logic. Thanks so much for the help

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jennifer,

Were you able to get this to work?

Thanks,
Dipika.

SanfordWhiteman

Dipika, as Jennifer mentioned, her PDFs were sending the expected Click Link events.  So it already was working.  What's your situation?

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

I was noticing this a lot today and then I realized that if you strip off the HTTP:// and just have www in your SC filters it works.  Give it a shot.

Robb Barrett