SOLVED

Marketo - Suspension of Service

Go to solution
Kristy_Murphy
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

Marketo - Suspension of Service

All,

I'm just trying to plan for a plan for a plan - disaster recovery planning 101.

This might seem random but what happens if your service at Marketo were terminated for payment issues? I don't expect a ton of hand raisers on the "we didn't pay our bill and this is what happened" but does anyone know what happens in the event of a suspend for non payment? How is your sync impacted? Do you lose data? Do all of your programs stop?

I'm just trying to understand technically what would happen with our integration and customer/prospect/sales rep experience should this situation ever come up.

Thanks,

Kristy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Marketo - Suspension of Service

My understanding is that Marketo can absolutely lock your access for non payment. The reality is they'd probably give you a grace period if they thought you were negotiating in good faith, and this may depend on the contract value. I am unsure if they'd just shut off the sync, etc rather than lock you out.

If you are concerned with this, I have recommended on my blog a few things:

• sync activity to SFDC (but this is slow and sync prone)
  • use a Marketing Data Warehouse with the API.
  • Export data regularly, but this won't export Activity Log info.
  • pay your bills

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

My understanding is that Marketo can absolutely lock your access for non payment. The reality is they'd probably give you a grace period if they thought you were negotiating in good faith, and this may depend on the contract value. I am unsure if they'd just shut off the sync, etc rather than lock you out.

If you are concerned with this, I have recommended on my blog a few things:

• sync activity to SFDC (but this is slow and sync prone)
  • use a Marketing Data Warehouse with the API.
  • Export data regularly, but this won't export Activity Log info.
  • pay your bills
Kristy_Murphy

I needed the laugh with #4

This is helpful. I suggested as part of our DRP that we do #2 and #3 as a best practice. It's hard when you get back "we need to know exactly what this looks like from experience A to Z" when a PO solves it all

Kristy

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

IMO you should treat this situation the same as if Marketo declared a total disaster internally.  Grace periods notwithstanding, the question is "what happens if Marketo goes away" -- and if you have a plan for that, you have a plan for this...

Kristy_Murphy

Understood. I know this question seems like a ridiculous one. I was looking to better understand the experience - like does Marketo just disable logins? Will data still sync if content is engaged with? Etc.

I'll keep researching but plan for what Josh responded.