SOLVED

Re: Marketo Survey Options

Go to solution
Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Marketo Survey Options

Hi all,

I'd like to send an email to a list of registrants that contains a survey. I browsed through Marketo's product docs page and on communities posts, but it seems like Marketo does not offer an in-house survey feature. Instead, people will integrate external survey tools like Survey Monkey or create a landing page with custom form / form fields to collect information. Is there a best practice when it comes to pointing registrants to a survey from an email? What's a trusted third-party survey platform?Can you advise? I'm posting a LaunchPoint article I found (link is below). Thanks!

http://launchpoint.marketo.com/surveymonkey/904-surveymonkey/

-Tom

Tom Kerlin
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

From an end-user perspective, there's nothing a survey platform can give you that you can't build with a Marketo form, or a fully custom form (or sequence of forms) using the Forms 2.0 API to submit values to Marketo. 

True, high(ish) end aesthetics and branching logic are built in to survey platforms, but there's nothing you can't duplicate yourself if you have the time and dev skills.  Plus, the ability to leverage existing lead values can give a custom solution an interesting edge, and there's no worry about integration costs or complexity.

But from the reporting perspective, a third-party survey provider is going to shine.  Marketo is not built to report on trends across your lead database.  (This is similar to the distinction between Munchkin's lead-centric "deep tracking" and Google Analytics's anonymous "wide tracking.")

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Survey Monkey has worked the best for me. Check out the integration options for the data back into Marketo via the connector. You can update the person records in Marketo with survey responses in real-time.

Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Thanks Mark - How much does it cost to integrate?

Tom Kerlin
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just looked into this for our company and it was cost-prohibitive for where we are at and what budget remains for a survey tool. You have to have an Enterprise level account and there is also an annual license fee, which for us, was too close to the total cost of our Marketo instance to consider. I'm going to see what I can do in building my own survey with Marketo's forms/landing pages.

Courtney_McAra4
Level 4

Hi Christina Wells​!

Sorry to hear that cost was an issue for you - Totally understand that as B2B marketers we have to be very careful how we spend our budgets!  Sometimes additional features like this just are not in the cards for one reason or another.

I did want to comment about it being "close to the total cost of your Marketo instance" and ask - are you using Marketo Spark?  The reason I ask is because I wouldn't want anyone to think that our pricing is similar to Marketo - we are definitely a 4-figure flat fee i.e. cost is not based on database size or number of users.  I know here at SurveyMonkey (and at previous employers) I've paid over 6-figures for my annual license to Marketo, and we are no where NEAR that mark!    

Anonymous
Not applicable

Courtney, certainly appreciate the response and clarity from SurveyMonkey. We have an agency model with several instances - so in our case, the $7,500 annual fee for use of the SurveyMonkey integration with Marketo is close to the cost of one of our agency instances. I shared with the sales person I spoke with at SurveyMonkey that it would be nice to have an option for companies who do value surveys and see them as a necessary tool to run their business, but do not require enterprise-level functionality of Survey Monkey nor will they send surveys at a volume that warrants such an account. If you offer anything that is more introductory, where a company like ours could run our customer feedback survey, that would be ideal. Until then, it remains cost prohibitive.

Courtney_McAra4
Level 4

Thanks Christina Wells​!  I'm sure our Dev Team will take that into consideration!  The whole reason we came up with Version was due to customer feedback so perhaps there will be a Version 3 someday!    

Hank_Hansen
Level 5

The last time I checked, the connector was way overpriced IMHO.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

From an end-user perspective, there's nothing a survey platform can give you that you can't build with a Marketo form, or a fully custom form (or sequence of forms) using the Forms 2.0 API to submit values to Marketo. 

True, high(ish) end aesthetics and branching logic are built in to survey platforms, but there's nothing you can't duplicate yourself if you have the time and dev skills.  Plus, the ability to leverage existing lead values can give a custom solution an interesting edge, and there's no worry about integration costs or complexity.

But from the reporting perspective, a third-party survey provider is going to shine.  Marketo is not built to report on trends across your lead database.  (This is similar to the distinction between Munchkin's lead-centric "deep tracking" and Google Analytics's anonymous "wide tracking.")

Anonymous
Not applicable

you likely need to relate the responses to each other and create reports based on the questions. This is best done in SM...The primary key in reports like this is the question vs. email address in Marketo.