Re: Marketo String field character limit

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo String field character limit

Hi,

I have a question regarding the String field 255 character field limitation...

It seems that when a String field gets updated from a CRM synch (in this case Salesforce), Marketo ignores the 255 character limitation. I ran some tests with a Salseforce Multi-select field mapped to a Marketo String field, and the Marketo field captured the full 860 character value (example below).

If I write to the same String field from an integrated web form, the character limit applies, and the value gets truncated at 255 characters.

Does anyone know if this is a matter of data priority - so any updates from a CRM synch to Marketo field would override the character limitation rule?

Thanks

Timo

8 REPLIES 8
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Seems to be a special case for SFDC to override.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If I write to the same String field from an integrated web form, the character limit applies, and the value gets truncated at 255 characters.

Mmm, not always, depends on how you add the field to the form. A hidden String field can store 2000 characters.

Actual length and precision of Marketo datatypes is almost never what's documented.   Needs a whole overhaul and some major fixes (like Floats are totes broken).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, this is interesting.

We are using the API to write data from an externally hosted form to MKTO, and one of the fields (a multi-select) can potentially exceed the 255 charcter limit (depending on how many preferences the user selects).

When you say a hidden String field can store 2000 characters, are you referring to the MKTO DB field? If yes, then how would a MKTO user be able to segment on that field (i.e. to build Smart List filters)? I was under the assumption that hidden fields in MKTO are not visibible for Smart List filters.

It would be great if we could write data from a hidden form field to the standard (non-hidden) MKTO String field without the 255 charcter truncation. Would a hidden form field override this 255 charater rule, the same way it does with the SFDC synch? I would assume no.

SanfordWhiteman

A hidden field on the form. Not hidden in the db. Hidden on the form means it doesn't use a length-validated input box.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah that's great news, thanks again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford,

Just wanted to follow-up with you again on this last reply. Since we are using REST API and NOT embedded forms for these form updates, there will be no option available for us to use hidden fields while posting the data. I would have assumed that the Marketo API would also override the 255 character limit (the same way that the SFDC integration does), but we are seeing the same 255 character truncation issue. Any suggestions on how this could be done via the API?

Thanks

SanfordWhiteman

Nope, you've made your bed by deciding to use non-Marketo forms -- I would strongly encourage a move to Marketo forms (a hidden form is fine) because it's more scalable and more functional.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!