Marketo Sales Insight - possible to create a 'email sent' report?

Nina_Valtcheva5
Level 5

Marketo Sales Insight - possible to create a 'email sent' report?

This has been a pain point for us for a while...whenever we send a Marketo email to a specific list in a region, sales always asks to know who the email was sent to. We have company-wide rules that prevent us from sharing exportable lists with sales that contain personal info, so simply exporting the list of email recipients from Marketo is not an option. I'm trying to find a way to do this in SFDC to provide sales with a link to the report which they can view but not export. 

I know email activity shows up in the Marketo Sales Insight widget Email tab but that's for each individual record so doesn't really help with our case. Is there a way to use MSI to generate a report in SFDC that shows everyone that was sent a particular email in one report?

Wondering if anyone has run into a similar issue and what creative ways you use to get around this.

7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Marketo Sales Insight - possible to create a 'email sent' report?

HI Nina,

I would simply use an SFDC campaign. Each time the MSI email is sent, in Marketo, you add the lead to the SFDC campaign. Then you report in SFDC on the campaign membership.

You can choose to have one SFDC campaign for all you MSI emails, one for each different MSI email ...

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a limitation for this solution, in salesforce you can not add the same contact more than one time in the campaign, specifically for companies where they don't have one owner of a contact but multiple owners,so if the first user add a contact to the campaign and send an email to him, in the same campaign another user can not add the same contact and so can not send an email to him.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I question the need for Sales to know about every send in this way. Yes, you should let them know you are sending X email and here's the copy. Why do I question this? Sales shouldn't need to follow up on every mass email. They should look for engaged or MQL folks in their queue each day and call them. How many times have you received weird BDR emails or calls where you deleted that firm's email already and have no idea what they're talking about.

As Greg mentioned, they will see the note on the lead record if the lead was sent or engaged with it.

Nina_Valtcheva5
Level 5

Thanks Josh. I agree that they should not be following up on every email. The scenario in our case is Sales wants to see who Marketing has invited so then they can invite other prospects who were not on our list so that we avoid overlap. We typically only create SFDC campaigns for responders/registrants who've actually done a hand-raising activity, so I'd like to avoid creating campaigns for email invite lists as well.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Nina,

But then you are using the whole system reversely to what it's been originally designed for. Campaign are there to monitor all actions and not just hand-raising ones. And campaign can have various member statuses, very similarly to Marketo programs.

So you are now hitting the limits of your design and I am afraid that you will have to reconsider the design itself, rather than trying to twist the basic features even further.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Josh, of course we can challenge sales need but for me it's more than logic and best practice to be able to do kpi's on activities performed by users! In MSI we ask sales to do activities and we don't have any features that give us the ability to report on those activities in salesforce! For me Marketo must improve this and give sales managers the ability to report in salesforce and not in marketo.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since MSI are synced to SFDC, I typically generate a report from SFDC with these parameters for the sales team:

Assigned equals “XYZ”

Subject contains “was sent sales email …..”

Subject contains “clicked link in sales email….”

Subject contains “opened sales email…”

And specify a range of date for the Activities