Re: Marketo Performance using Bulk Custom Object Import via API

Michelle_Tang3
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

Marketo Performance using Bulk Custom Object Import via API

Hi Marketo folks! Has anyone used the bulk custom object import using the API? If so, have you seen any performance issues in Marketo such as delayed instance, back up in the campaign queue (if any), etc. We plan on sending data to one custom field to about 50K records. Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It's kind of instance-by-instance question. For 50K CO records once per day I wouldn't have any concerns.

You did say both "custom field" and "custom object" though, which are different things.

Michelle_Tang3

Ey so we currently have a custom field for it and would be build it out for a custom object =(

Lauren_Aquilino

EDIT: The limitation was poor documentation of upsert functionality of the Bulk API for Custom Objects. You should be good to go this route.

--

We ran into some limitations using the Bulk API for Custom Object updates. Let me check on the details, and I will update this post.

If all 50k will not need to be updated daily, you may be better off using the Bulk for the initial load and the REST API for ongoing updates.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes that would be ideal unless you are running a weekly batch update for some reason.

Please note a few things:

500mb daily limit for bulk api upload. You can increase this for a fee, but the increase is temporary unless you negotiate it up.

You would only see the trigger eval queue or sync get clogged if you happened to trigger or batch run something tied to a field or Custom Object that had a mass update.

Remember std REST API has a 20 per second update limit.