Marketo Munchkin tracking & AMP Web Pages

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo Munchkin tracking & AMP Web Pages

Hello Marketo Nation,

My question is related to tracking on AMP web pages on mobile devices.

Google's AMP project is used by many content publishers to deliver a faster experience on mobile, even eBay is a notable user of AMP (read more at : Accelerated Mobile Pages Project – AMP )

However, having researched how tracking works, I wasn't able to find any information around if the Marketo Munchkin tracking can be implemented to AMP pages, and if so how? Does anyone have any experience of using AMP and Marketo on their site and still being able to track users?

Thank you,

Chris

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Marketo Munchkin tracking & AMP Web Pages

It is possible (though it wasn't in earlier AMP versions) to use <amp-analytics> with Munchkin. However, I don't think anyone has packaged it yet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford,

Thanks for sharing, I'll take this up with Marketo and post back any answers here to share with others.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, a little while later, I have an answer from Marketo themselves on the subject of tracking with AMP pages...

"AMP: it's essentially a simplified and standardized HTML format that enables mobile pages to load much faster, geared towards news sites. However, it does NOT support forms or custom JavaScript. Therefore, Munchkin, RTP and embedded Forms (or any Form) will NOT work."

Source: https://moz.com/blog/how-googles-amp-will-influence-your-online-marketing

So, apparently it won't work. However, if anyone does manage to make it work, and has a work around to share, please do share it here.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Their response is incorrect; the current AMP spec allows for pluggable analytics modules, as I mentioned earlier.

However, you need to convert a JS-based tracker to fit AMPs tag-based syntax. All JS-based trackers are ultimately downloading tracking pixels, so any tracker can be converted. Whether it's worth somebody's time to do it pro bono is another story.