Re: Marketo Landing Page and Google Analytics stats not adding up

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo Landing Page and Google Analytics stats not adding up

Hi guys,

I have a Marketo LP which shows 226 'views' (is there a doc which shows what this means?), and I have GA tracking on that LP, which shows a total of 132 sessions for that page - so why is there such a big difference? (same time frame for each tool)

We also see in GA URLS which consist of the LP url itself, plus some other script - example '?mkt_tok=ey...etc' - which I assume is an individual's tracking link once they've done something (done what?) - and I see various different session values, mostly 1, but occasionally, for example, 8 sessions against one of the unique URLs - again, is this views/sessions - is there a doc to explain this?

We have GA tracking script on our LPs, but the data doesn't add up. Our GA resource is limited, so we can't seem to exclude the additional url info as mentioned above. we want to set up GA tracking for our LPs, as well as Conversion metrics, but struggle to find anything from Marketo with explicit step-by-step instructions...assume this will be useful for others to have, so adding this question in the hope of a solution...

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Chris_Johnston
Level 8

There are several other threads that address how Marketo and Google track things differently giving variance.

Take a look at this one in particular: Page Views in Marketo versus Google Analytics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Chris,

so if I follow what is being said there, Marketo will show everything and anything that hits that LP, and GA is a more 'real person', refined attempt/approach...so the advice is 'ignore Marketo'...

anyone else got any comments on that???

Chris_Johnston
Level 8

The advice is less ignore Marketo and more, compare same system.

If you have LP 1 and LP2. Marketo is going to be consistent and can tell you which LP is performing better. Neither Google nor Marketo is every going to be perfect in their tracking. The idea is, you can understand the trends and figure out what is working best for you.

Essentially compare Marketo results to Marketo and Google results to Google and together you can understand how things are working, even if they won't ever add up to each other.