Marketo Email Raw Data API Export

Brian_Denneny
Level 2

Marketo Email Raw Data API Export

Hi All,

I'm trying to connect marketo email data (just email data) to my database housed on redshift. I am seeing marketo has the following API export fields: GetLead, GetMultipleLeads, GetLeadActivities, GetLeadChanges.

How would I go about getting email data? I know I can export it but I want the data by date. To give you a broader view of what I'm doing is making it so the links in my marketo emails which lead people to fill out a form on my site have a UTM parameter captured by a cookie on our site. That UTM parameter is then sent to salesforce on the campaign member object which will enable me to see form fills, then tasks, then opportunities coming from my email campaigns.

I want to be able to connect all this data in my instance of redshift like I currently do with adwords data and bing search data to optimize my campaign performance and house everything in one set of dashboards for company use.

Right now, after reading all the documentation, I do not see how I can get email data into my DWH and when I do an export on the email data it does not have a date range. To get around this I could in theory export email data every day and upload the csv into my DWH after adding a date column but that seems extremely unproductive. I was hoping there would be a way to just get the raw data.

-Brian

6 REPLIES 6
Grant_Booth
Level 10

Re: Marketo Email Raw Data API Export

Hi Brian,

You should be able to do this using the Get Lead Activities call and related calls. First, you get the IDs for the activity types:

Get Activity Types » Marketo Developers

Then you  get the paging token (this is when you choose the time/date after which you want to pull activities):

Get Paging Token » Marketo Developers

Then you start pulling the activities, using the activity type ID(s) and paging token from the previous calls:

Get Lead Activities » Marketo Developers

As shown in the example at the last link, it should include date-time values of the activities in the response.

Grant

Brian_Denneny
Level 2

Thanks Grant Booth ! Where would I put the connection call to the ETL tool I'm using (RJMetrics)?

Also where/how would I run these scripts? Kind of a noob here I know... It seems like I can filter pretty easily for JUST email sends?

Grant_Booth
Level 10

Hi Brian,

I'm afraid I can't help much with that, since I'm not familiar with RJMetrics and I'm not a developer (I'm in Support and familiar with the APIs, but haven't done much live implementation myself). For that I recommend seeking the help of an experienced developer or consultant.

Grant

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Brian, if your data warehouse does not integrate an HTTP REST client and/or scripting layer -- if it expects to act only as a database endpoint or perhaps pick up imports via SQL or text file -- you will need to use an integration server to connect to Marketo and either transfer to your DWH directly or save data in a format the DWH can import.

Brian_Denneny
Level 2

Hi Sanford Whiteman​ - I will actually be going through RJMetrics (info here: API Documentation — RJMDev 2.0 documentation ) and I was wondering where the client/scripting layer is?? RJMetrics gives me an import API connection.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

From what I can see, RJMetrics doesn't offer outbound connections for "pull" import other than their database connectors.  That is, they will not start up client REST connections for data import direct from Marketo.

Rather, they expect you to either [1] push data into RJMetrics using their own REST Import API or [2] get your data into one of their supported databases, such as MySQL, so you can use use a pull connector.

If you use [1] you'll be pulling data from Marketo's API and then pushing data (likely after saving it to a temporary database or file and mapping it to the RJMetrics schema) into RJMetrics using their API.  For this, you'll need some kind of integration server.  Some people try to build a "poor man's" integration server by using cron jobs + scripts on a (hopefully dedicated) box.  If you don't have complete command of the technology (or, frankly, want to have non-embarrassing infrastructure) I don't advise trying to roll your own.  Rather, deploy a product that's built for this purpose, such as Microsoft SSIS, MuleSoft, Talend, etc.

Alternately, if you use [2] you'll be pulling data from Marketo's API as in [1] but only storing it in your db for RJMetrics to pull. You won't necessarily need to do any mapping before storing the data.  But I still believe you should use an integration platform for this if it's a mission-critical, always-on job.