Re: Marketo Custom Redirect Links

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo Custom Redirect Links

Does anybody know if you can make custom redirect links for external urls? Our company used to have Pardot Marketing Automation Software and this was a feature, but I dont see anything in marketo that can do this and it's definitely something our whole department misses!

For example the redirect links used to allow us to take any 3rd party site links and make them look like our own for branding purposes, and also allowed us to track number of clicks, add people to nurture campaigns, adjust score, etc.

If this is hard to follow let me know and I'll try to clarify!

6 REPLIES 6
Jenn_Precopio
Level 1

I would like to know too!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

• if by "custom" you mean "automatically shortened," No
  • if by "custom" you mean "you select a page name under your LP domain and if it's not already used, it will redirect to a third-party site," that would be Yes, but...
  • if by "custom" you mean "you select a page name under your LP domain and visits to that page are logged to Marketo before the person is redirected", that's a No, since Redirect Rules do not result in logged activities

Of course, email links are shortened and rewritten to bounce off the branding domain, but outside of the email realm it's not possible to reuse this functionality.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Amanda,

custom redirect links for external urls

I am not sure to understand what you mean here.

You can always add a redirect on a web site or web page towards a Marketo LP. This is not specific to Marketo but just usually takes a set up on this site's DNS. You can also add additional sub domains from various domains to Marketo, but this will require an addition to this domain DNS.

But you can surely not divert the traffic on a 3rd party web site to your Marketo LP (or Pardot), without an intervention on this site or on this site DNS. This just, hopefully, does not exist, otherwise, I would have used it for a long time to divert traffic to my competitor's web site to my own one.

-Greg

Jenn_Precopio
Level 1

In Pardot, they allow you to use custom redirects to track banner ad clicks, links to third-party sites, links on social media, and access to files hosted outside of Pardot. Clicks are tracked as an activity on a prospect's record, and you can get an overview of the redirect's performance with the custom redirect reports.  I'm wondering if anyone knows of a plugin or soemthing for Marketo that can mimic a similar tool?

Click here to learn more on Pardot Custom Redirects

Michael_Florin
Level 10

I guess you can simulate the Pardot Custom Redirect by setting up a landing page in your Marketo with the URL "page.mydomain.com/branded_URL", and add a redirect script in the head section of that page to your external URL. Clicks to that LP will then count as a Marketo activity (web site visit) which you can use as a Smart Campaign trigger.

Disclaimer: I think I set this up once years ago, but I would need to test again in order to be 100% certain this works.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

There is quite simple and very efficient way todo this described in Sanford Whiteman​ article here https://blog.teknkl.com/stop-using-direct-download-links-unless-you-like-losing-tracking/?marketo-na...

-Greg