Marketo Creating New Leads for Current Salesforce Contacts?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo Creating New Leads for Current Salesforce Contacts?

Somebody please help!!!!

We have a gated content with marketo forms to capture new lead information; however, when a current contact fills out these forms, marketo generates a new lead instead of updating the exsisting contact record within salesforce. What is the work-around here. I am sure its an easy solution, can someone please provide some insight?

My example is:

We have a monthly newsletter that goes to our entire salesforce database. We also have a sign-up feature on our website to "join our newsletter". The campaign that we build out is that when a lead or contact engages with the newsletter (i.e. clicks a link), we create an interesting moment, capture the engagement, and sync the lead to salesforce. However, if the contact already exsists within SF, than it's creating a brand new lead, so if I was a current contact, and signed up for the newsletter, than I would now also be a lead.

Any ideas????

3 REPLIES 3
Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Marketo Creating New Leads for Current Salesforce Contacts?

Allison Isett​ this is expected behaviour if you are assigning existing contacts to a leads Queue in SFDC. Since SFDC can't do that, it will create a duplicate lead instead.

Check your "Sync to SFDC" flow step and see if you are explicitly assigning to a leads Queue. If so that's your issue and you would need to have some logic to say if lead, assign to the Queue, otherwise leave assignment rules blank (keep current owner) etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Justin Norris,

right now in the flow of our website lead gates we say "sync to SFDC" are you saying I need to get rid of that flow step? If the lead does not already exsist in SFDC, will marketo still create a new lead within SF without that step? How would I apply a logic in a flow that would say "if lead, assign to Queue?" what would that look like?

Anonymous
Not applicable

If SFDC Type is Lead, sync to SFDC, default choice do nothing.