Manual Field Merge from Excel Spreadsheet

Callum_Quinn
Level 1

Manual Field Merge from Excel Spreadsheet

Hello,

I have been looking through the forums for an answer to my issue however, am yet to discover anything that provides enough guidance, hoping someone may be able to help.

We need to send an email to clients informing them of changes to their logins. 

We will need to show each client individual information. Prior to having Marketo I would have just completed field merge in Campaign Monitor using a excel sheet. The data we need does not live in Salesforce and cannot be placed there.

So I am hoping there is a simplistic solution to field/mail merging information from a excel sheet into a email blast according to each person receiving it.

Example:

Spreadsheet

Account Name                      Current Email            Username             New Email

Default Business                  sales@email.com      John.Smith            John.smith@email.com

The copy in the EDM being:

Hi John,

Your current email {current email} will no longer work, please use your new unique email {New Email} and {Username} to login from now on.

Any help would great/

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Manual Field Merge from Excel Spreadsheet

Marketo can't send directly "to" rows in a sheet: there is no UI* function for one-time-use of values in a sheet that are then discarded.

Instead, you'd import the sheet full of lead values into Marketo and send to the (static) list of folks who were just merged in.

If you wanted to minimize the need for new fields, you could combine all the one-time values into one big Textarea field, then parse (split) the contents of that field using a Velocity ("Email Script") token.

* You could build such a function using the API, but that's presumably off-topic.

Amit_Jain
Level 8 - Community Advisor

Re: Manual Field Merge from Excel Spreadsheet

The other work round would be by creating this whole message in Excel and upload that message to a Textarea field like comment or notes and use that as a token inside your email. The excel will look like below:

Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 5.02.12 PM.png

The the formula you should use to populate the Message should be following:

="Hi "&C2&","&CHAR(10)&CHAR(10)&"Your current email "&B2&" will no longer work, please use your new unique email "&E2&" and "&D2&" to login from now on."

Hope this will help.

Regards,
Amit