Managing data from sister companies in one Marketo instance

Jessica_Leung1
Level 2

Managing data from sister companies in one Marketo instance

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone else has a similar lead management situation and what the best way is to handle it; I've got an idea but would be good to get feedback from others.

We're (Company A) looking to include our sister companies (Companies B and C) databases into Marketo, mainly for big company announcements, or a message from the CEO. These acquired companies operate separately from ours (they have their own marketing activities), so I would only want to include them into our general marketing comms/lead gen campaigns only if they've engaged via a download.

Would the best way to identify these leads who may originally be from Company B, but have engaged with Company A is via a check box for each company? So that going forward, for any company-specific lead gen/marketing comms from Company A, we could then apply the checkbox for Company A as a filter? And the original lead from Company B would be included? 

Thanks

Jessica

4 REPLIES 4
Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Re: Managing data from sister companies in one Marketo instance

I think this is an issue that would require several different Workspaces and Partitions based on the different business units.

You would then have a default workspace with a main program routing/assigning leads to the correct partitions and workspaces based on their company/business unit. Besides the Master workspace which houses all the persons (leads/contacts), all the other partitions will only contain the persons assigned to them.  You would then use the master workspace which has all the leads living in it for sending your global emails.

This seems like a lot of work though considering you are only ever going to use one WS/Partition and the others will just be housing dead leads besides being used for your global sends.

Jessica_Leung1
Level 2

I agree, it's a lot of work just to house leads for global sends! And costly...

If we ran campaigns for the other business units, then this would be a more viable option I think.

Valerie_Whitin2
Level 5

Hi Jessica Leung​,

Is there cross over between the three businesses? If so, your approach makes sense to me. If not, then you could use just one text field that you can populate with each company name.

You can also use the Marketing Suspend function to make sure company B and C leads don't get pulled into future campaigns.

Jessica_Leung1
Level 2

Hi Valerie Whiting​,

There isn't a cross over in our business focus, but if there is interest (ie: a download.) from a lead in company B for our offering then they should also be included. The way I see it, of they came to our site separately and downloaded they'd be a lead in our system anyway.

Good idea on the Marketing Suspend function Thanks!