Managing Multiple Email Addresses for Same Person

lorie_witmer4
Level 2

Managing Multiple Email Addresses for Same Person

I am finding it difficult to manage records in Marketo and SFDC when our prospects and customers are interacting with us using multiple emails - name, company name, phone, address are all the same - email addresses are different and they tend to use a mix of emails when interacting/filling out forms with us, so its not always clear what is most preferred email they want to use.

In some cases we merge new record to old record and put new email in the SFDC primary email field and put old email in the "additional email field" or keep the old email and put new email in the SFDC "additional email field."

And in some cases, we need to send a Marketo email to an email in a SFDC custom object where the email on the custom object is different than the primary email on the contact record for that specific person.

I can't imagine that I'm the only person dealing with this.  I'm curious to know how other companies are dealing with this?  Not merging?  Merging records, what email merging rules are you using?

2 REPLIES 2
Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Re: Managing Multiple Email Addresses for Same Person

Consider deploying a data quality management solution like RingLead or Cloudingo in your Salesforce.

It's a challenge everyone faces. Until there's AI built-in into the marketing automation platforms to detect and notify you about these kind of duplicates, you're going to need separate tools with the fuzzy matching algos to do the job.

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Re: Managing Multiple Email Addresses for Same Person

Alternatively, don't force people to fill out forms over and over again. If you have them cookied, allow them direct access to gated/premium content. This improves CX and reduces the likelihood of your problems happening.

Furthermore, depending your business, you could create a membership/login area that then tracks people by their user login which has greater benefits cross device/platform