Re: Managing Contacts Associated with Multiple Accounts

Nathan_Fehler2
Level 2

Managing Contacts Associated with Multiple Accounts

Our business model often contains leads/contacts (email addresses) that are associated with multiple accounts. Each contact in this scenario has a single unique email that is used across all associated accounts. We would like to be able to send more personalized communications with a send per unique email-account relationship based on the account that the lead or contact is associated with. Due to the way Marketo dedupes email sends to only one record with an email address, is there a way to:

Has anyone attempted to do this sort of thing using Custom Objects, API Triggers, Otherwise? We use Microsoft Dynamics CRM solution, and feed data to Marketo via custom APIs from our in-house database.

8 REPLIES 8
Jay_Jiang
Level 10

I'd imagine it'd have to be some kind of api solution. If you aren't sending large amounts of emails, one way I can think of is...

Build a requested smart campaign with flow send email and a webhook endpoint in the language of your choice with some api calls to marketo.

Marketo sends webhook of lead's email address to your service. Your service would get leads by filtering by email address to get the ids of each lead, trigger the request campaign for each lead id you get.

You may have have to throttle your api calls to marketo.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Do all these people qualify for the campaign in the first place? (And then are only removed from the send because of the antispam dedupe.)

If so, it's easy to bypass the dedupe and send them each a personalized email. No extra API calls or 'hooks (much as I love 'em) necessary.

Scott_McKeighe2
Level 5

We've been ruminating over a primary/master contact object to deal with this on the Salesforce side, but it sounds like you have a more elegant solution!

SanfordWhiteman

You have the same situation where you want to send to people who would otherwise be filtered out by the send-time dedupe?

Scott_McKeighe2
Level 5

Yes indeed! In our scenario, we have third party representatives stored as individual contacts on their clients' accounts.

If I'm understanding your example solution correctly, the workflow conditionally sends an email payload to qualifying targets where an email address value isn't shared; where duplicated, requests a separate triggered campaign that just-so-happens to also send the same email payload. Do I have that right?

I think it's exceedingly clever, and now that you point it out, I feel silly for not thinking of it earlier.

SanfordWhiteman

Don't feel bad, I don't think anyone thought of it before a month ago.

Nathan_Fehler2
Level 2

Can you elaborate on this thought? We are trying to send cross-sell and upsell campaigns to qualified accounts. Please explain how we would bypass the dedupe feature in our Marketo DB such that an email address associated with 4 accounts would get all 4 account emails using the Marketo UI feature set.

SanfordWhiteman