Making CTA buttons dynamic through easy editor (emails)

Cristina_Weber
Level 1

Making CTA buttons dynamic through easy editor (emails)

Hi there,

I'm building some 2.0 templates so that the rest of the team can build emails on the easy editor without having to touch the code.

We often segment our content based on audience type, so that for example a client might see a piece of content and prospects see a different one. Making images and rich text dynamic on the easy editor is very easy, but I haven't figured out a way to make the CTA buttons dynamic (I need the link and CTA text to change based on segments). So far I've solved the problem by using segmented snippets where I want dynamic CTA buttons, but it's obviously a very roundabout way of solving the problem and it does require code manipulation (even if very minor).

Does anyone have a good solution to this problem?

Thanks!

Cris

3 REPLIES 3
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Making CTA buttons dynamic through easy editor (emails)

Hi Christina,

Email 2.0 variable cannot be made dynamic. Read the list I established here of what's missing and vote for them.

There are 3 ways to render dynamic CTAs:

• let your user set them up in editable zones (dangerous)
  • create them as snippets (tedious and not flexible, as you need one snippet for each CTA you might want)
  • Create some velocity scripts to render different CTAs based on lead characteristics (Requires coding and specific skills from your users).

-Greg

Eben_Shapiro
Level 3

Hi Greg,

What is the danger with the editable zones approach? Would it just be that users can mess things up? Would I have to worry about Marketo stripping things out too?

Thank you,

Eben

Eben_Shapiro
Level 3

From my own experience, as long as you don't paste anything too fancy in there, like Outlook conditional comments, Marketo leaves the code alone. So if it's just a button styled 'a' tag in the Rich text editor, it should be ok. But please let me know if you have any horror stories about doing this sort of thing.

With this approach users should be told to only edit the text through the link editor and not directly in the rich text editor or they might accidentally delete the button when deleting the old copy. So there is room for error there.