Re: Make manually imported leads appear to be FB lead ads

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Make manually imported leads appear to be FB lead ads

Hi all.

Is there any way of manually importing data, but making it seem to Marketo as if it were a FB lead ad form fill.  

The background is that I've discovered an agency misconfigured a FB page, so the leads haven't been coming into Marketo.  I need to load them manually, but all the things that trigger from a FB lead ad need to occur as well.

I'm reasonably comfortable loading them through the API rather than the UI if that helps.

Cheers

Jo

6 REPLIES 6
Katja_Keesom

Hi Jo,

The source values for the Person Creation activity are automatically allocated by Marketo, so I do not know of a way to "trick" this to show something different from your actual upload method. The same applies to the activity of filling out a FB lead form that will not be there on the activity log.

Whether there is a solution really depends on the filter criteria for your follow up processes. Of course the values of fields like Lead Source, Acquisition Program and even utm parameters if you have these set up can be adjusted using smart campaigns. So it all depends on what information you are looking to manipulate to include these people in your follow up.

Kind regards,

Katja

Abhinav_saini
Level 3

Hi,

Yes you can import manually or use zapier or other 3rd party applications to setup automation in between Marketo and agency platform. 

Make sure while mapping fields/uploading leads, update lead source as "Fb lead ad". 

Later you can create a smart list with filter Lead source is "Fb lead ad" and you'll have all leads in one place. 

Regards,

Abhinav

Abhinav Saini
Katja_Keesom

Hi Abhinav,

As far as I can see this will update the Lead source field, but not the activitiy log. The person creation activity will still have a source type related to the API integration and there will be no backdated activity "Fills out FB Lead form" on this person's log.

So it still depends on how the smart campaigns giving follow up to these people have their smart list configured to see whether these people are correctly processed.

I would indeed ensure these people get a recognizable Lead Source and update the smart lists for processing to include this group of added people correctly.

Cheers,

Katja

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Agree with Katja here. Merely importing isn't the answer (Jo already knows how to do that). But making the lead appear to enter via a specific connector isn't possible. You can only simulate most, but not all, of the aftereffects.

Jo_Pitts1

So here is the interesting question - how does Marketo know which connector it is? (I've not given up on this yet 🙂 - dogs, bones, and all that)

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

how does Marketo know which connector it is? (I've not given up on this yet 🙂 - dogs, bones, and all that)

Well, the LinkedIn connector has been OAuth-permitted, so it's easy to trace... internally, that is.