SOLVED

Re: MSI Ignores Unsubscribe??

Go to solution
ChristinaZuniga
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

MSI Ignores Unsubscribe??

When I implemented MSI, I did a test and found that it honored unsubscribes in my system, so I felt confident rolling it out to sales. That was under the old Email Editor 1.0.

I'm adding a new email to MSI after moving to Email Editor 2.0 and went to publish to MSI and got this notification. Note that Operational Email wasn't selected, so does this mean that MSI does NOT honor unsubscribes?

pastedImage_0.png

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Christina,

I ran a few tests to assess how this is really working. Here are my findings

1/ The setting in the admin only have effect on the unsubscribe link if:

• You are using unsubscribe default settings (admin -> email)
  • your email template has NO {{system.unsubscribeLink}} token

In any other case, the settings in admin->sales insight has NO effect on the unsub link.

2/ the setting also has a second behavior: it enables to send an email to an unsubscribed lead or not. The unsub lead will only be sent the email if the admin setting is set to "Hide Unsubscribe Footer" for the appropriate email category.

IMHO, the way the admin setting is designed is confusing. We should on one end set the behavior of the unsub footer and SEPARATELY define whether or not we authorize sending any of these 3 types of emails to an unsubscribed lead. All the more so as most of the templates at hand with the email editor v2 have some unsub footer modules.

-Greg

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Christina,

In the admin -> sales insight, at the bottom, you will see a settings section.

pastedImage_1.png

If you press the "edit button", you will access this dialog:

pastedImage_0.png

Can you provide a screenshot about how your's is set up?

-Greg

ChristinaZuniga

Hi Grégoire Michel​, yes here are my settings:

pastedImage_2.png

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Christina,

I ran a few tests to assess how this is really working. Here are my findings

1/ The setting in the admin only have effect on the unsubscribe link if:

• You are using unsubscribe default settings (admin -> email)
  • your email template has NO {{system.unsubscribeLink}} token

In any other case, the settings in admin->sales insight has NO effect on the unsub link.

2/ the setting also has a second behavior: it enables to send an email to an unsubscribed lead or not. The unsub lead will only be sent the email if the admin setting is set to "Hide Unsubscribe Footer" for the appropriate email category.

IMHO, the way the admin setting is designed is confusing. We should on one end set the behavior of the unsub footer and SEPARATELY define whether or not we authorize sending any of these 3 types of emails to an unsubscribed lead. All the more so as most of the templates at hand with the email editor v2 have some unsub footer modules.

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

And we can also note that the doc on this seems to be totally missing...

-Greg

Elizabeth_Robic
Level 3

I noted this earlier this week. A fairly critical doc to be missing!

Conor_Fitzpatri
Level 6

Hi Christina,

In my experience, I do recall that MSI ignores unsubscribes (we use a separate program to send sales email now). The only way around this is if your reps use MSI to add them to a Marketo Campaign (that in turn sends an email).

I don't remember getting that notification when checking Publish to MSI in the past, but it is definitely there now.

ChristinaZuniga

I tested with one of my opted out records and the email didn't send, so I assume my settings are correct to honor opt outs.

Conor_Fitzpatri
Level 6

Just tested it with your settings and it did not send to an opted out lead. The "you have chosen to ignore unsubscribe settings" warning should really be removed from the email settings menu if you have "show unsubscribe footer" enabled in the MSI admin.