Looking for some clarity around adding a new domain.

Highlighted

Looking for some clarity around adding a new domain.

We're adding a new domain in order to host a blog. Unfortunately, it's not a subdomain of our current site but an entirely new domain name.

Other than adding Marketo tracking scripts to this new site, is there anything else that needs to be done? I've read a number of blog posts, but I'm still not entirely clear on the implications.

• We don't see any reason to brand our emails differently for content related to this new domain name. (E-mails associated with subscriptions to this blog content will be sent from our primary domain.)
  • We do intend to embed a Marketo form into the site which will allow users to subscribe.
  • We don't intend to use any landing pages in tandem with this site and are fine with those operating under our other domain rather than this new domain if we do.
  • We would like to track users activities but understand that because these are separate domains that users will need to be cookied again. From my understanding, if they click a link in one of our Marketo e-mails to this new site, their activities on the new domain will be associated with their existing record.

Am I missing anything here or, given the above details, is adding tracking script to the new site's pages all that needs to be done?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Looking for some clarity around adding a new domain.

You have a handle on it, Osman. Just make sure Munchkin is running over there and make as many moves as you can to get leads associated so you don't have the same human as anonymous on the new domain and known on the old one.

Highlighted

Great! Good to hear! Thanks, Sanford! Again, always the first to help. Very much appreciated.

Highlighted

+1 on Sanford.

I would still try to have leads fill out a form on the blog as well, to increase association with the cookies on this domain. A simple embedded form with only the email address field to register to a blog newsletter will do the trick as a minimum.

-Greg

Highlighted

Thanks, Grégoire! That's exactly what I've recommended to our Marketing team, but it's great to have some validation on that point.