Look Up field sync - SFDC Marketo Integration

Anonymous
Not applicable

Look Up field sync - SFDC Marketo Integration

Hi Everyone,

We are trying to sync our SFDC instance with Marketo. We have been successful in most of the objects and fields but there are few fields that we are not able to sync.

For example : We are not able to sync fields that have field type as "Look up Value". We wanted to know if that is possible in any way or we need to find another way around it.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Look Up field sync - SFDC Marketo Integration

You can integrate these fields, but they will render an SFDC ID in Marketo, instead of the record name field. 3 ways out of this:

1. You create in SFDC  a formula field that brings back the lookup record name field and sync it. This is the easiest to do, but if the lookup record name changes, it will not flow back to Marketo. So this method is for data that normally do not change (user email address, record type name, ...)
  2. You create some triggers in SFDC that populates a custom field. This is quite more complex, but you can get rid of the limitation from method #1
  3. You use some webhook technology that will search for you the lookup tables and populate a second field in Marketo. Some of these can even plug into SFDC to retrieve the lookup table and then keep uptodate your Marketo DB

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot Greg for your help !

We will try implementing one of these option and see which one works best for us.

Thanks once again

Harish_Gupta6
Level 8

Hi Greg/Karthikeyan,

We were facing the same issue so we used the 2nd approch that Greg suggested:

1. You create some triggers in SFDC that populates a custom field. This is quite more complex, but you can get rid of the limitation from method #1

Greg, I have one more formula field which is calculating the sum for field A and Field B. Now as per Marketo, the formula field won't trigger the result back to Marketo beacuse the field itself not updated.

Now, I am planning the solution "Point 2 mentioned above in your comment." for this also. Please suggest your thought?

Thanks

Harish Gupta
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Harish,

When mentioning triggers, I meant APEX triggers, meaning custom development.

The formula field will not by itself update the record, but if fields A and B are not formula fields, when A or B are updated, the formula is updated and the record as well, and this should normally flow back to Marketo.

-Greg

Harish_Gupta6
Level 8

Hi Greg,

Both field A and B are integer field and Total field is formula field. The record is even getting updated in CRM but it's not syncing the data back to Marketo. I have checked with Support team also and as per them changes in formula field can't read by Marketo plugin. They mentioned that the formula field just change the value in Total field but Marketo plugin doesn't treat it as updated value.

Thanks

Harish Gupta
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Harish,

This answer from support is not to the point. If the record is updated in the CRM (whatever how it is updated, it's about the "updated" field in SFDC getting a new timestamp value), fields values are extracted and copied to Marketo, including the formula one. I have done this a hundred of times.

I think you are hitting another issue: is the total mapped to a score field in Marketo? If this is the case, then I can tell you this indeed does not work. Marketo says it's no longer possible to update score fields from the CRM, as it was before, but that the fact it worked before was a bug that they corrected. I remember having had some discussions about this about a year ago in the community.

The work around for this is that we have mapped the CRM formula field with an integer field in Marketo, then had a smart campaign that copies the integer field to the score field.

-Greg

JessicaMeyers
Level 4 - Champion

In our use case we are ok with the ID being the display value, mostly we want to be able to capture this info in Marketo, and sync it back to Salesforce. My understanding is the following 
1. I will need to sync back the id as the value - not a problem 

2. I should see the field normally if I give the sync user profile read-write permissions into this field? 

Is 2 the case? I am not seeing the field in my field management.