Re: List of people who have unsubscribed, then been sent an email

Alex_Venus
Level 2

Wouldn't the lead activity log act as your audit trail should you receive a complaint?

I appreciate this isn't a solution to your question, but this shouldn't be an issue due to system.unsubscribe.

I have witnessed marketers labelling promotional emails as 'operational' in my time though, so could be worth using the setup listed by Floyd.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It can't be your audit trail as-is, because the most important activities in this case are aged out.

If you keep an offline archive then you can use it as a reference (although technically it could be altered in transit, it's a good faith effort).

Alex_Venus
Level 2

Ah so after 90 days they will disappear from the activity log too? Yikes.

SanfordWhiteman

The Filled Out Form will last for 25 months. But the proof of their Data Value Change only lasts 90 days. In my experience in regulated industry it's not sufficient to have a partial log, or really even to have to go to Marketo ad hoc at all. It needs to be stored offline continuously, at least every week.

Erek_Bond
Level 2

I realize this is off the original topic, but what suggestions do you have for storing the activity log offline?

SanfordWhiteman

I realize this is off the original topic, but what suggestions do you have for storing the activity log offline?

Do you mean literally suggestions for storing? (That is, not the retrieval part but permanently storing after the file is downloaded.)

If you need both storage and reporting, I recommend storing activity logs in a timeseries db (OpenTSDB, etc.). People often make the mistake of trying to use a traditional SQL database, which is not the right fit.

However, for pure archival, a tsdb may be too obscure (like if regulators need to query it). A tsdb also rearranges the original data via compression and is geared toward aggregation, rather than individual lookups. So if you need a lossless one-to-one mirror of an Activity Log, you'd want a partitioned SQL table.