Re: List of people who have unsubscribed, then been sent an email

Julia_Rosentha3
Level 2

List of people who have unsubscribed, then been sent an email

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but could I have some help please? I need to generate a list of people who have unsubscribed, and since then, have been sent an email.

But because there's no "then" option in the filter rules of a smartlist i think this might be impossible. The only filter rules currently available are "any" or "all",but they won't help in this case. And, even if I date stamped the unsubscribe action, I still wouldn't be able to setup the smartlist rules to say;

Unsubscribe = true

Was sent email = true

Date = after unsubscribe date stamp

I know i could generate a list of unsubscribes and export with interesting moment fields, then do a clunky vlookup or IF statement to work this out, but preferred method is to do it in MKTO if possible.

Any ideas would be much appreciated! Thank you

15 REPLIES 15
Darrell_Alfons2
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Julia,

You can use "data value changed" , attribute = unsubscribed , and then you will have date options.

And then was sent email = time frame.

Hope that helps!

Darrell

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Except the Data Value Changes activity is aged out after 90 days.

I would say there's actually way to do this accurately within or without Marketo if you haven't already been archiving Activity Logs.

Darrell_Alfons2
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Oh Man!! did not know that.

Thanks Sanford, sorry Julia Rosenthal​ guess it will not work.

Floyd_Alvares2
Level 8

Hi Darrell,

Welcome to the new Data Retention Policy: Marketo Activities Data Retention Policy - Under the Hood 

Thanks,

Floyd

Julia_Rosentha3
Level 2

Thanks Sanford, informative as usual

Floyd_Alvares2
Level 8

Hi Julia,

Is there any specific reason you are looking for this information? When a record is unsubscribed - and I hope you mean the system unsubscribe of Marketo, then there should be no reason why a record should receive any marketing related email.

Of course operational emails are different, but then again  you would not send an operational email  unless it was deemed "operational".

But other than that, there is no "easy" way to identify records that would have been sent an email after unsubscibing.

You should definitely leverage creating the "Unsubscribed date" field and "Last email sent date" and then you could query something like

Unsubscribe Date is "after" said date

Was sent email date "between" said date and today.

and run a month check to see if records meet this criteria and then export these from your Smart List.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Floyd

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I hope you mean the system unsubscribe of Marketo, then there should be no reason why a record should receive any marketing related email.

Well, there is if they later resubscribe! And because of the lack of a permanent audit trail you can't after the fact determine the person's trajectory.

But, more likely in line with the OP's reasoning, it also can be useful to know just how many times you've ignored their Unsubscribed value. People can unreasonably twist the rules of what qualifies as Operational and rightfully get complaints.

Floyd_Alvares2
Level 8

Yes I totally agree to this Sanford.

Guess it is time to start building out an Unsubscribe Program that allows you to capture this information due to the lack of activity information.

Floyd

Julia_Rosentha3
Level 2

This was more of an example, to represent multiple times where i've wanted to build a smartlist with a similar condition. i.e. generate a list a list of people who did 'x' , but only  AFTER doing 'y', but have never been able to find a decent solution. The unsubscribe example was just a simple way to represent this sort of scenario, we'd never actually have a need to run this exact smartlist [maybe for an audit or sense check]. I'm all for keeping tidy unsubscribe data, not worth the damage to do it any other way. If people don't want to hear from you, the worst thing you can do is keep contacting them.

Thanks for your reply. If i'm not mistaken, there's no way of running a list similar to what i've described here, in MKTO, correct? The only way is to create a few date/time stamps for various activities, and export to excel and do it there, correct?

Thanks again

Jules