List Uploads - do I have to clean the data, or can Marketo automate rejecting competitors, etc.

Joanna_Witkows1
Level 1

List Uploads - do I have to clean the data, or can Marketo automate rejecting competitors, etc.

Hey Friends, 

Recently, we uploaded a massive attendee list to Marketo, synced those people to a campaign in SFDC, and thought that any leads on the list that are competitors or are part of our "undesirable email domain list," etc would not sync to SFDC or would at the very least not be assigned to sales reps in SFDC but they were. Is there a sort of "cleanse list" step that I should implement before syncing? If yes, please let me know how to do this and where. 

Typically, when we mass email our existing database, we usually filter out bad domains and competitor names in flow steps "Email address does not contain @gmail.com" for example. But in this particular case, we uploaded a list of attendees directly into a new campaign and emailed them without filtering that stuff out. And it begs the question, isn't there a better way to do all this? I shouldn't have to manually filter these people out with every list upload or email send, right?

Help me automate the data cleansing of list uploads. 

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: List Uploads - do I have to clean the data, or can Marketo automate rejecting competitors, etc.

The upload process doesn't pass through any user-defined filter on the way.

You can upload to a Static List, then run your "Cleanse List" step on that list as part of your procedures.

Alternately, a developer could build a upload UI for you (which uses the upload API on the back end) and that app could filter leads before they get into Marketo.