SOLVED

Re: List Upload with European letters

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

List Upload with European letters

Hello,

I am trying to do a list upload into Marketo.  We are currently using Marketo throughout our company in 9 different countries.  Whenever I upload a list that is in Swedish, Norweigan, German, or any country that has different characters or accents, the characters don’t come through and I have to manually go into ever record to update them.  Is there a way to upload a list where these characters can come through?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

This is actually very simple.  Just save the Excel file as a Unicode Text file (instead of CSV).  During the import process, just make sure you select "tab delimitted" as the file format (in fact, you should ALWAYS select the appropriate file format regardless of the format).  Works perfectly every time.

0EM50000000SvIL.jpg

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Hi Michael,

The key to preserving special characters when doing list uploads is to make sure that your list is saved with UTF-8 formatting. Excel, by default, formats entries as Windows-1252, which results in the special characters you mention getting mangled.

Unfortunately, Excel doesn't offer an out-of-the-box option for writing UTF-8 CSVs, so you need a plugin like this, use software like OpenOffice/LibreOffice to make your lists, or do a Notepad workaround as described here.
Josh_Hill13

Are you saving the CSV as UTF 8 format?  Try a couple of test leads and import them that way.
Dan_Stevens_

This is actually very simple.  Just save the Excel file as a Unicode Text file (instead of CSV).  During the import process, just make sure you select "tab delimitted" as the file format (in fact, you should ALWAYS select the appropriate file format regardless of the format).  Works perfectly every time.

0EM50000000SvIL.jpg
Abaran
Level 5

Hi Dan

Unfortunately this is not working for me . I also tried the method describe on SFDC support page. Same issues

Axel

Dan_Stevens_

Have a look at this recent idea: .  Is it possible you're experiencing these same issues?

Colin_Mann
Level 5

Thanks Dan, I've had the same issue and thought there was probably a simple solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the help and guidance.  This worked perfectly.  Saving it in UTF 8 Format (UTF 16 for my mac) and uploading it with the tab delimited file format works great.  Thanks again!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I confirm ! I've saved in UTF 16 and use the tab delimited file format. Thanx a lot !