LinkedIn UTM parameters not passing through

Troy_Larson1
Level 3

LinkedIn UTM parameters not passing through

Hey All - 

Was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue. We have a LinkedIn campaign running the UTM parameters in the destination URL. The landing page is a WordPress page with Munchkin code on it, so in theory I should be able to see the "known" people in a smart list. 

However, when I look them up in Marketo --  using the filter: visited web page with the parameters in the query string I see no results. 

I know that people are clicking my LinkedIn sponsored content -- I see clicks on the LinkedIn dash. 

Was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue and if so how you guys were able to get it to work? Have had go rounds with Marketo support where it works fine for them so they're not able to replicate the bug. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: LinkedIn UTM parameters not passing through

What about on the Anonymous side?

If your Munchkin is otherwise functional, these query parameters should be treated the same as any other.

Troy_Larson1
Level 3

Hey Sanford Whiteman - Not sure what you mean. 

Here's a little more context: 

It's super odd, when I click the destination URL (as a test - so not in LinkedIn's ad preview or in the "wild" but just the straight coded destination URL), Marketo sees everything correctly. The lists pulls in the right people etc.

I've also tested the URL via LinkedIn's ad preview and again, I can't find any issues. Marketo seems to "see" everything OK.  

Additionally, I see ad traffic via the UTMs in GA. I can look up that destination page and do a Source/Medium report and see traffic coming in via my ad UTMs.

It seems to me that this issue of not being able to ID known traffic is occurring in the "wild", when someone on LinkedIn actually clicks our ads. Ever heard of that happening?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

There's nothing that would explain the Visit Web Page activity not being logged at all. That happens regardless of whether query params are present.

Troy_Larson1
Level 3

Yes, it's super weird. Check out this example: 

pastedImage_1.png

Troy_Larson1
Level 3

2019-09-04_13-47-48.jpg