Re: LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms Not Found

Trevor_Parsell
Level 6

Hey Charlton,

I went through this process a few weeks ago and found that even when you add "Work email" to your LinkedIn lead gen form, you still cannot map the values from that field to the "Email" field in Marketo. In other words, LinkedIn's "Work email" field does not show up as an option when setting up field mapping in the LaunchPoint connector.

Though based on what you said above, even if we could map work email to marketo, it would be populated with a personal email address since many people do not have a work email associated with their LinkedIn account.

I think the ideal scenario would be to allow work email to remain empty on the lead gen form unless someone has an actual work email associated with their profile. This would require an extra step but is the only way B2B Marketo users could consistently use and rely on LinkedIn lead gen forms.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got some answers from the product team over at LinkedIn. Turns out that "work email" is just an alias field. There is technically only one email field being passed through the integration (the reason why we only see one "email" in LaunchPoint). However, if we use "work email" the primary email address on the account will populate and pass to Marketo just as if we used the regular "email" field. The thinking was that folks would be more inclined to input their actual work email address if the field was labeled as such.

They also confirmed that they cannot in fact distinguish between a work or personal email per my previous post.

Trevor_Parsell
Level 6

Charlton Swearingen

Thanks for the info! I didn't know that but that makes sense.

My concern is that very few people will backspace the personal email address that is pre-populated in the work email field and replace it with their actual work email. If someone did do that, I wonder if it update their primary email address in LinkedIn to their work email?

Did they say if there a way to turn off the auto-fill functionality on the forms for the work email field? I think that would solve the problem! It looks like the challenges are on the LinkedIn side instead of Marketo.

Boris_Kiperas1
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

I had the exact same problem some time ago. The Fills Out LinkedIn Lead Gen Form trigger appeared but it took a while. There is a delay, it takes a little while for your trigger to appear after you create a new Linkedin Lead Gen servioce in LaunchPoint.

Boris Kiperas
JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

It only appears as a trigger-able action AFTER the first form for EACH campaign has been filled out. It's not "taking a while" it's just that's how long it took for you to get your first submission. It makes it very difficult to keep on top of triggers since you have to keep checking back or setup an alert system like I did to detect when a form you're not monitoring is filled out for the first time.

Yoav_Guttman1
Level 4

the alert you set up was for the LinkedIn Lead Gen Form or a Marketo form? If it was a Marketo form, how was it set up, since until that first person completes the LGF on LinkedIn, Marketo doesnt see that person as filling out the form. If in LGF, how did you set the alert up?

JD_Nelson

I created a smart campaign for "filled out linkedin lead gen form" then a filter for 'is not' and I picked any of the forms that we had setup properly. THEN, unfortunately, each time one is found you have to go back in to the smart campaign and add that form to the list to exclude moving forward. Hope that makes sense.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I spoke with my LinkedIn rep today and escalated this issue. I'll report back if I hear anything. I honestly can't believe this is still an issue a year after launch...

Yoav_Guttman1
Level 4

Great idea - followup: When it detects a "new LGF form", is the data from the contact passed into Marketo?

JD_Nelson

Yes, it reacts just like a normal SC would. The difference is that you should use it as an alert campaign only, you won't be able to do any attribution to which lead form because that's the overall issue we're trying to resolve. So, let's say I have 5 lead gen forms running. Initially my SC would just watch for 'filled out lead gen form' and then trigger an alert when someone fills one out. I go in as soon as possible, figure out who that person was, run them through another campaign-specific SC that attributes it to the correct lead gen form (thereby setting that form to trigger moving forward). Then I go BACK to the alert campaign and add that form name to the "form is not" filter so that now my alert campaign is watching for ONLY the remaining 4 forms that have yet to be triggered.

If you're on top of your game you'll only need to be alerted once per form, update the logic and after 5, in this case, you're done and you shouldn't need to worry about anything moving forward until you add a new campaign.