Lesson Learned: Setting up Campaigns to avoid queues

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lesson Learned: Setting up Campaigns to avoid queues

When we have two campaigns that are dependent on each other, our company uses one of these triggers to request the subsequent campaign: the Request Campaign action, or Add to List in Program x. When we Add to List, the next Campaign looks for that cue, and it is then triggered.

I always wondered what the benefit was to use "Add to List" as opposed to "Request Campaign." The intuitive benefit is that in using Static Lists, you are able to make faster reports, and have a trustworthy log of all your members. At the same time, Request Campaign always seemed cleaner.

I recently learned that having too many "Request Campaigns" within your running campaigns can severely slow down your instance and cause a massive Campaign Queue!

So, if you have a larger Marketo instance, make sure to consider creating Batch Campaigns that add to list, instead of requesting a campaign!

5 REPLIES 5
Kristen_Malkov1
Level 8

Re: Lesson Learned: Setting up Campaigns to avoid queues

Yes! I absolutely couldn't agree more. Request campaign is a nightmare when you're managing a larger instance, or when you're trying to do any reporting. Personally, I avoid request campaign since I feel like it always turns into a mess, no matter how neat you are.

Good lesson to share!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing your tips!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great point - Tim Tran​ - might we something we think about we our trigger campaigns.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ugh, tell me about it!

I set up this beautiful email drip system using campaign requests, but now my campaign queue is so long it doesn't even send on the correct day.

Good lesson to learn and share, thanks!

Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing, I never knew this was a problem