SOLVED

Leads syncing too fast to SFDC and being assigned to the wrong rep

Go to solution
bcouture
Level 2

Leads syncing too fast to SFDC and being assigned to the wrong rep

hey everyone,

I'm running into some racing issues between Marketo <> SFDC sync. We have our programs and campaigns sync'd and SFDC is handling all assignment of leads. I'm having issues specifically where new leads are sync'd "too fast" from Marketo to SFDC and thus assigned to a rep before all the necessary info (for lead assignment) from Marketo is populated and are sometimes being assigned to the wrong rep.

Any idea on how to remedy this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Leads syncing too fast to SFDC and being assigned to the wrong rep

you've summarized the questions everyone has, pretty well. Unfortunately, no, there isn't a default way to sync to SFDC and a Campaign at the same time all while waiting for x-number of processes to run through your lifecycle. The normal way to do it is to have the Sync to SFDC flow step in your global lifecycle; that ensures that every lead runs through that process and is in fact created in SFDC. From a global perspective, you can't add people to campaigns. Therefore, the best way to accomplish this is locally in your program flow steps. But that's where it gets tricky—because you still want your lifecycle processing to finish before you add them to the SFDC Campaign (otherwise it initiates the Sync to SFDC process and if your lifecycle isn't finished you'll miss much-needed info from your lifecycle that impacts routing/scoring). This mere situation is the reason why most people do not use the campaign sync process, and instead rely on a wait step (do your best to time your lifecycle to see how long it takes), then adding people to campaigns at that point.

You don't need a wait step in your local programs before assigning acquisition program or program member status—as long as you're not synced—because those would just be local to the program and not initiate any CRM processes.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JD_Nelson

this is a common reason why people don't use the sync and prefer to make it a local action to the program and rely on a global lead lifecycle for all the processing. The problem with that being that you'd have a wait step in every campaign of undetermined length (your lifecycle time).

It is an Idea in community to add a global time delay on that sync to overcome this, you can vote here: https://nation.marketo.com/t5/Ideas/Set-Global-Delay-on-Program-Member-Campaign-Sync/idi-p/286101

bcouture
Level 2

Hey @JD_Nelson 

Thanks for replying, sorry for the delay here. I figured that I'd have to add delays to all my programs (before assigning acquisition program or program status) to allow for processing campaigns to complete before the program<>campaign sync adds them to SFDC.

When you say folks prefer to use a local action to the program are you referring to a "Add to SFDC Campaign" or a "Sync to SFDC" step? Wouldn't either of them still require some sort of delay to allow for processing to complete?

I figured I could also just add a "Sync to SFDC" step in my global lead lifecycle program, but then it seems that I would miss out on being able to add them to the SFDC campaign?

Is there anyway of syncing leads to SFDC AND adding them to the corresponding SFDC campaign without a delay in my programs? 

JD_Nelson

you've summarized the questions everyone has, pretty well. Unfortunately, no, there isn't a default way to sync to SFDC and a Campaign at the same time all while waiting for x-number of processes to run through your lifecycle. The normal way to do it is to have the Sync to SFDC flow step in your global lifecycle; that ensures that every lead runs through that process and is in fact created in SFDC. From a global perspective, you can't add people to campaigns. Therefore, the best way to accomplish this is locally in your program flow steps. But that's where it gets tricky—because you still want your lifecycle processing to finish before you add them to the SFDC Campaign (otherwise it initiates the Sync to SFDC process and if your lifecycle isn't finished you'll miss much-needed info from your lifecycle that impacts routing/scoring). This mere situation is the reason why most people do not use the campaign sync process, and instead rely on a wait step (do your best to time your lifecycle to see how long it takes), then adding people to campaigns at that point.

You don't need a wait step in your local programs before assigning acquisition program or program member status—as long as you're not synced—because those would just be local to the program and not initiate any CRM processes.

Hope that helps.

bcouture
Level 2

ahh alright, I figured as such. Thanks so much for confirming, super helpful @JD_Nelson