Leads being created on a form fill

Anonymous
Not applicable

Leads being created on a form fill

Hi all,

A recent campaign that I sent out was to our retention base, so all of the records were contacts. Leads were being created in Sales Force because a contact was sent an email and then filled out a form with a different email address. Has anyone encountered this? Wasn't sure how to handle it, or what the options are? In a perfect world we would want the email address to be updated in the contact record, but the issue with that is if the customer types in their email address incorrectly we wouldn't want it to be replaced with the incorrect one. Looking for anything thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Leads being created on a form fill

Amanda,

This is a fairly common issue. Have you considered pre-populating your forms with email addresses so that when folks get to the form, their email address is already filled out? This may reduce the duplicate issue you're experiencing.
Adam_Vavrek1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Great suggestion from Charlie.

We had a similar issue that you're experiencing. Leads would use their business email address on one form and then use a personal address on another. I found that it helped to edit the field name from "Email Address" to "Business Email".
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You can also use javascript to block @gmail.com, etc from the form up front. There are threads on this.

But this is exactly how Marketo works: if someone uses a different email, there is no deduping.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's the blog post, which shows how to set up what Josh mentioned:

http://developers.marketo.com/blog/restrict-free-email-domains-on-form-fill-out/
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are having the same issue, and it's not with different email addresses, and pre-filled is enabled.

When a contact fills out a form, it immediately creates a lead. It's really frustrating as its causing customers to start getting prospecting emails.

Any other things to look at the cause of this problem?

Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

If it's the same email address, then it shouldn't create a new lead. For customer-facing emails, you could try including the "SFDC Type is contact" filter; likewise, use "SFDC Type is lead" for prospects. Or, build customer and prospect smart lists with this included to save you the time of doing it with each send. It might not completely solve it, but it may help prevent customers from getting prospecting emails.

Grant_Booth
Level 10

99% of the time I see this happen its due to using a personal email address. The best way to avoid it in my opinion is to block personal email address using the method Josh and 53504 were talking about.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Grant!

In my circumstance, that's not the case. This is happening with the exact same business email address.

Alex_Stanton1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Hi Gregory,

Look into the lead assignment rules. If you are using the SFDC default rules and you assign leads to a queue, that could cause duplicates.