SOLVED

Re: Leads and Contacts - Never the twain shall meet.

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Leads and Contacts - Never the twain shall meet.

Marketo Integration With Salesforce

A long-standing, heretofore unresolved problem in Salesforce campaign reporting, is that campaigns typically involve both lead and contact records, and while one can produce a campaign member or calldown report that combines leads and contacts, one can't surface custom fields on the lead or contact object.

Enter customer reports, with which one can tie campaigns to leads, to surface those fields. But it can't link to both leads and contacts, so you end up having one report for leads and one for contacts. Not much better.

Is anyone aware of a Salesforce App or Marketo Launchpoint app that will allow:

1) A combined view of campaigns with both leads and contacts, AND custom fields

2) A view that allows one to combine and group multiple campaigns

If this view can be done from Marketo, that's not the entire problem, because reps need to work from such a report and click-to-dial to make calls, and log activities against the record.

Has nobody solved this problem with either a Salesforce or Marketo add-on?

(Reading SFDC discussion groups, there's some indication Salesforce is addressing it, but it's a couple releases out at least.)

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi David,

One workaround of the problem in SFDC is to use the possibility brought by SFDC a couple of years ago to create custom fields in the campaign member object. You will be able to create either versatile formula fields that can bring both lead and contact info or plain fields that you will have to populate with workflows, process builder or triggers. These campaign member custom fields can be used in campaign with campaign member reports. So you can get advanced fields for leads and contacts in 1 report.

Example of such a formula field that brings back the acquisition program name for both leads and contacts in one unique field:

if( isblank(ContactId),Lead.mkto2__Acquisition_Program__c, Contact.mkto2__Acquisition_Program__c )

-Greg

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi David,

One workaround of the problem in SFDC is to use the possibility brought by SFDC a couple of years ago to create custom fields in the campaign member object. You will be able to create either versatile formula fields that can bring both lead and contact info or plain fields that you will have to populate with workflows, process builder or triggers. These campaign member custom fields can be used in campaign with campaign member reports. So you can get advanced fields for leads and contacts in 1 report.

Example of such a formula field that brings back the acquisition program name for both leads and contacts in one unique field:

if( isblank(ContactId),Lead.mkto2__Acquisition_Program__c, Contact.mkto2__Acquisition_Program__c )

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is interesting...thank you. going to look at this.

Addendum: Does this only work for Marketo fields?

Trying to pick up other custom fields such as Lead.utm_keyword but SFDC reports not finding the field.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

You are welcome

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

The limit is that these fields will not be available in Marketo. If you think they should, vote here:

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Addendum: Does this only work for Marketo fields?

Trying to pick up other custom fields such as Lead.utm_keyword__c but SFDC reports not finding the field.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi David,

This is done in SFDC and only works for SFDC fields. But any field in SFDC, when a standard one, a custom one or a fields brought my the Marketo packages would work.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I think I've got it now.  My error was trying to pick up a field that wasn't mapped from leads to contacts.

I think this is a viable workaround.

Still astounding to me that this issue - surfacing custom lead/contact fields in a campaign call down report - has been outstanding so long with Salesforce, and still not baked into the product.