Lead segments, workspaces, partitions...what is the best option?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lead segments, workspaces, partitions...what is the best option?

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help, here's the situation...

I've created a nurturing campaign for specific leads, and I want these leads to only receive nurturing emails. They should not receive any other marketing communications from us.

Here are a few ways I know this could be achieved, but are there any other options?

1) Manually filter these leads out each time a new email is sent.

2) As part of the campaign, add flow actions to remove the leads from marketing suspended before each email is sent, then put them back into marketing suspended between each email.

3) Use workspaces/lead partitions - however, we don't currently have this feature and it's not something I've worked with before.

Does anyone know of any other options? If not, which of these three is the best one?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Lead segments, workspaces, partitions...what is the best option?

Hi Ben,

Option 1 works, indeed.

Option 2 does not work, as you will have a very hard time to control that the remove from suspended is done right on time and putting it back to suspended is not done too soon.

Option 3 works well but has a cost, as it may require you to upgrade your Marketo version + the setup of the workspaces.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks...I think the long term solution will be option 3. Option 1, while the simplest, isn't foolproof as we have many people working in our instance of Marketo, so I'd need them to all make sure they add the filter each time. So I am going to experiment with option 2 for now!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Ben,

2 hints then :

• For the "out of suspended" step, plan the batch a few hours ahead of the stream cast time and the first times, check that the campaign completes in time
  • For the "back to suspended' step, you should better use a "email is delivered" trigger, using your nurturing emails as a constraint.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. Will incorporate your second tip.

I've actually set this up as a 'standard' program rather than a nurturing one, so am not using streams etc. in this case. So I can simply add the marketing suspended value change before and after each flow step to send an email.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Ben,

Yes, this will work indeed.

Best regards,

Greg

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I concur. #1 is the best option.

#2 can work, but I see this potentially breaking at some point.

#3 is a terribly bad option unless you have Business Units or Regions that require separate activities and to keep leads separated. WS does not inherently prevent other people from sending those leads emails.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting...

On #3, our company does have various business units and leads tend to belong to one of them and are marked as such in a custom field. Ultimately, though, they're accessible to everyone using the system, even though some people should only be sending emails to their BU.

Ultimately, my aim here is to ensure a small number of leads (50-100 currently, although this will increase over time) only receive emails as part of the nurturing campaign they're added to. All other marketing emails are off-limits! But due to the number of people working in our system and the number of different activities going on, it's not really possible to ensure they are manually filtered out from each email. So ideally I'm after a solution that automatically stops them from receiving any other emails.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Ben,

Since you are not using engagement programs but a "classical" Marketo campaign to do this having a flow that looks like this :

1. change data value [Marketing Suspended = False]
  2. Send email
  3. change data value [Marketing Suspended = True]

will work.

-Greg

Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

Option 2 isn't so bad.

Maybe this:

What about if you created a Channel called "Nurturing Only Emails".

Then on all your regular campaigns, you have a Send Email step, with a constraint of "program status is "nurturing only emails" --do nothing--. You could programatically assign a lead this status easily enough too.

At least that way if you wanted to break your no-email rule for nurtures, you don't have to mess around with unsuspending them and resuspending them and you won't get whacky "blocked from email" numbers in your schedule tab.

Edit: actually I just went to test this and the constraint only allows you to select a program status from the program the campaign is residing in. In which case I'd probably just figure something out with a smart list.