Re: Lead score decay based on opportunities

Lead score decay based on opportunities

Hi,

My Sales team and I are building a specific scoring for our clients, which will be partly based on our contacts' Salesforce opportunities.

The idea is the following:

- If an opportunity was created less than 6 months ago: 4 points

- If an opportunity was created between 6 and 12 months ago: 2 points

- If an opportunity was created over a year ago: 1 point

I've seen many ideas here but I can't find anything quite satisfying at the moment if I want to put this idea in place.

My initial idea was to:

• create a trigger campaign which would give 4 points when an opportunity is created
  • create a separate batch campaign to remove 2 points if no opportunity was created in the last 6 months
  • and create another separate batch to remove 1 point if no opportunity was created in one year

The problem here is that if multiple opportunities are created in six months, the score could signficantly increase. And that setting the modification rules of the trigger campaign to every six months is not efficient either, as it would just prevent a lead from coming into the campaign.

I tried to think about another solution, with which the lead would go through two flow steps in one campaign. But again, if the lead has multiple opportunities, the score could rise fast. Plus, using wait steps over such a long time is not really something I would like to implement.

I also thought about not scoring in the flow step the leads added to an opportunity less than 6 months ago, but as the trigger is based on this criterion, the lead will of course meet it and not be scored – even if the previous opportunity would have been created 10 years ago.

Any suggestion? I hope it is clear enough. As far as I understand, the problem here is not really the decay as such, but rather how to limit this part of scoring to 4 points without creating yet another custom score – I would like to avoid as much as possible the multiplication of scores.

Thank you for your ideas!

3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Wouldn't you create batch campaigns to handle this?

- If an opportunity was created less than 6 months ago: 4 points

Run Once a Day, Leads can enter in every six months +4 pts

But there is a Has No. of Opps filter, so you could play with this. If you only want Leads with 1 opp, you could try that.

- If an opportunity was created between 6 and 12 months ago: 2 points

Run Once a Day, lead can enter in every 180 days, -2 points

- If an opportunity was created over a year ago: 1 point

Run Once a Day, lead can enter in every 1 year, -1 pt

Thank you for the idea! It is a good option for leads with a single opportunity indeed, although it would not prevent the others from having more than 4 points after 6 months. But I guess that there is perhaps nothing I can do against this, except creating a specific score with a different score name.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

It's a bit thorny on Opps. Without being in your instance, that's about as much as I could suggest for a path.

I have an instance where the Opp Object has a "Number of Opps" field managed in SFDC. That could help you if you can build that in SFDC.